Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Color Purple (1985)

Rating: 100%
Well I decided that today would be the day that I would settle this matter both in terms of watching and reviewing when it came to this matter of epic stupidity. By epic stupidity I of coarse mean, Out Of Africa beating The Color Purple for Best Picture of 1985. I've seen this movie before and right there I knew that this movie losing Best Picture was a complete outrage. So before I watch Out Of Africa for the first time and try to see what possible logic there was for it to win, let's look the one that should've one: The Color Purple.

Plot: Celie and Nettie are sisters who live in the Southern United States with their father who has abused Celie to the point of having two children with him and taking them both away from her at childbirth. Later her father forces Celie to marry a local widower named Albert Johnson who treats her like a slave and abuses her. Nettie comes to live with them but when she avoids Albert's attempts to rape her he kicks her out of the house. Over the years Celie continues to be abused while she, and some of the people she knows face terrible things with racism, sexism and poverty.

Oh my goodness this is simply a wonderful film. It's beautifully acted, the world that they lived in was shown in a very sad and depressing yet moving, the story is touching and entirely emotional as the film goes on. I won't say anything about the second half of the movie, but that's when you are most likely to cry your heart out or at the very least get a little teary like I did from watching it just now. Now I have hear some people think this movie is overrated because some people think it's just a film for Steven Spielberg to just play with our emotions. Now I have a couple of things to say about that 1) Bite me. 2) Isn't getting emotional part of what makes a beautiful and powerful done movie just the way we like/love them? I mean that's why we love movies that act so powerfully like Toy Story 3 or The Lord of the Rings trilogy or things like that. And The Color Purple is one of those movies that do one of the best jobs at doing just that.

Actors/Characters:
Whoopi Goldberg/Celie: Now I didn't know until while I was watching this film that it was Goldberg who was playing as Celie. Cause I didn't really know the actress that much when I saw it the first time. Now normally I wouldn't be too much entertained with her acting...but that's mostly because she's usually in romantic comedies or just plain comedies that are nothing special. But this movie and Goldberg falls nothing in line to that. And what a job she does with giving us this character. Goldberg's performance was brilliant with showing this character and with EVERYTHING that she is going through with the events of the film. I have no idea who beat her in in Best Actress in a Leading Role, I'm sure she was nothing compared to Goldberg.
Oprah Winfrey/Sofia: Yes. I mean the same Oprah with that TV show everybody knows about for those of you who don't know. And I only know a couple of things about Oprah Winfrey as we know her now, but let me tell you, whatever you know of her now, she is completely different in this movie. Sofia is this strong-spirited woman which naturally is fun to watch, but then she has a bunch of stuff happen to her which is moving and how Oprah shows that is just extremely well done.

Music: It's excellent. I really works with everything that happens throughout the film.

Editing: It was very nice, well put together.

And that's my review for The Color Purple. It was a spectacular movie that was moving, well put together movie that by rights should've won Best Picture. Soon I'm going to review Out of Africa. In fact I was watching it while I was writing around the second half of this review. So far I'm 1 hour and 11 minutes in and already I hate it more than more. Will it give me some logic in it winning at all? Keep a sharp eye out for my review to find out.   

No comments:

Post a Comment