Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

My Rating: 80%

Like most of the Marvel heroes as I started to get into Marvel, I began to become a bit more aware of the super-hero Captain America through looking into many issues of The Amazing Spider-Man. It wasn't until I started to go to Barnes & Noble and read a lot of other Marvel comics than just Spider-Man whenever I was on break from work on a regular basis, that I started to get to know the charcter more, primarily through reading the first few issues and reading about what he did during the super hero Civil War. When I first heard about there being a movie, I was primarily excited...right until I found out that it was going to be directed by Joe Johnston and that the Cap himself was going to be played by Chris Evans. Now I have finally watched the movie after really wanting to ASAP as I have clearly stated while commenting on you guy's own reviews to the darn film, and i'm happy to say that I was not disappointed.

Plot:Steve Rogers is a young man who tries to get into the army to fight during WWII only to be repeatedly rejected due to his health and physical problems. But after he over heard Rogers' conversation with his friend over how we really want to fight, Dr. Abraham Erskine enlists him into the army and sets him up into a super soldier project that transforms him into Captain America.

Like I said, I wasn't thrilled with Johnston directing this, especially with how despite making a few films I like, was more of a hit-a-few-and-miss-the-rest kind of director, especially when his last film before this was Wolfman. I mean I haven't seen it, but my brother has and I trust him when he says that, that film was really boring. But thankfully, this turned out to not only be one of his few hits, but also his best yet and also probably one of the most well putout loyal-to-the-story-of-the-comic movies I've seen...I mean there's a lot of those kinds of films like the first two Spider-Man movies, but I think the thing is, like Thor and X-men: First Class, they have us the full idea of the origin of the hero(es) is a clear, complex way. I mean it really goes without saying all around that as far as really good complex, well acted and smart way of telling all those stories, Marvel has done an excellent job with their movies, and I really hope that it stays that way next year with The Amazing Spider-Man and The Avengers.

Acting/Characters:
Chris Evans/Steven Rogers a.k.a. Captain America: Like I said, I really disapproved right away with Evans being the Cap. I mean he was the human torch in the Fantastic Four movies and we all know how that turned out. and despite him being not bad in some films like Scott Pilgrim and Push, I was not convinced at all that this was a good choice. I mean all of the guys from my hang-out group at college agreed with me on this and would even make lists of people they thought were better options. I myself would say it all the time: "Chris Evans is in no way possible, anywhere WORTHY in any way whatsoever to wield the shield of Captain America." I am happy to say however, that I was wrong. I mean to be fair, this is the general story of the Cap and there's still The Avengers movie and whatever in the world happens after that. But at least with this film, Evans did a good job in showing how the Cap has a wonderful care for the individual, would do anything to save lives, and be a pretty awesome fighter.
Hayley Atwell/Peggy Carter: She did a very good job as well. I didn't except any less of what she did. The only thing about her character is how it really sucks how it turns out for her, especially what supposedly is going to happen in the movies that also happens in the comics to the Cap after the events to this film.
Hugo Weaving/Johann Schmidt a.k.a. Red Skull: I wasn't thrilled at first with Weaving being the Red Skull. It's not that I think he's a bad actor or that I didn't think he could do it. cause he is a pretty good actors and I was confident that he was going to do fine at the least. It's just that...it seem like you'd sorta think he's been in enough popular franchises. I mean he's Agent Smith in The Matrix trilogy, he's Elrod in The Lord of the Rings trilogy and both upcoming Hobbit movies, he's V in V for Vendetta, he's fricking Megatron in Transformers for crying out loud, and now he's the Red Skull in the Marvel movies. Not saying that's a bad thing, i'm just saying, in one hand, he's done more than plenty. But regardless he did an excellent job as the Red Skull, no questions asked.
Sebastian Stan/James "Bucky" Barnes: Well he wasn't as the character really is in the comics, but what they came up with was nice too. So I was alright with what they did with Bucky.

Music:It was very good. It worked especially concerning that time period.

Editing: It was well done, but I disagreed with one cut. What basically happened was that one shot was the Cap jumpin got catch a chain to swing on, but as soon as he's out of the shoot still holdingon to it, it cuts to a part where he's running again, chasing after the Red Skull.

And that is my review for Captain America:The First Avenger. I have doubted how this movie was going to turn out for a while but it turned out to be just fine. We still have The Avengers movie to worry about, but this was a very good start with introducing the good ol' Captain.

No comments:

Post a Comment