Thursday, August 18, 2011

Titanic (1997)

My Rating: 90%

I remember when I start to find out about the Titanic. My brother was starting to become very interested in it. It got to the point where he had a few books about it and one on it and other sunken ships, and he even was Captain Smith for Halloween in the 2nd Grade. From there, the rest of the family and I knew the story as well as we knew the story of all our favorite Disney films. Our mom only showed us the actual disaster from this film, considering out age. From there, I'm pretty sure that it wasn't until early in my freshman year in high school when my siblings and I (or at least my brothers and I. I'm sure if our sister did. I don't think she could've yet then.) Saw the whole film. And while it was a romance film at the same time, it still showed us a big idea of what that terrible night was like. And it really gets me every time.

Plot:Most of this film is the story of a rich girl and a poor boy who fall in love and are separated by their class. At the same time, It tells the story about the Titanic in it's voyage to America before the ultimate disaster.

Well as far as the romance goes, clearly a lot of us are over it. It's always stuck in our head with hearing lines like "Don't let go Rose" and "Jack I'm flying" and only heaven knows what. But it's still a little bit of a cute story no matter how much we are over it even if we've seen this movie less times than we've seen any Disney Princess movie. And it has a bit of fun like when they went to that third-class party or when they were being chased by Lovejoy. The ending is sad but at least it's sort of happy at the same time.
As far as the actual story of the Titanic, that was why it was truly Best Picture. Half of the film give you an idea how it use to be to grand to the point where people claimed that The Lord himself couldn't sink it. (may The Lord have mercy over them) And then the actual sinking happens and it touches you every time when you see people dying as the ship sinks more and more and then there's of coarse the band with playing Nearer, My God, to Thee. It's just powerful.

Acting/Characters:
Leonardo DiCaprio/Jack Dawson: Well obviously you have to like how he cares for Rose and worked on setting her free, and he didn't let go till the end and all that. I think DiCaprio all around gave a good performance. It's not Oscar worthy, but it's still good.
Kate Winslet and Gloria Stuart/Rose DeWitt Bukater a.k.a. Rose Dawson:I like Rose as well. She did have a fun, spirit which helped in making some sort of joy before...things really went to heck. Stuart did a very good job in making a very interesting character as far as who Rose became so many years later.
Billy Zane/Caledon Nathan "Cal" Hockley: well he was evil. But you do have to like how he's acting like gentlemen while still making sure that he makes his own luck.
Kathy Bates/Margret "Molly" Brown: She did an excellent job with her part. I only wish that they at least showed a little bit more...well actually a lot more about her after it sunk with how she became the "Unsinkable" Molly Brown. But I suppose that wouldn't work at keeping the whole mood like there's no hope at all until the Carpathia came in.
Victor Garber/Thomas Andrews: I liked his character. He was kind and caring and did his best to help other during the sinking.
Ewan Stewart/First Officer William Murdoch: I felt sad for the character. But I don't blame the lawsuit there was concerning his suicide when it came to his nephew. I mean there's some saying that he might committed suicide and Cameron did point out that some gun shots were fired, but still.
Jonathan Evans-Jones/Wallace Hartley: He did a very good job with this character. I mean he had to. The band did play to help those that were going to die and boy was it a big moment when they played Nearer, My God, to Thee and then his last line: "Gentlemen. It has been a privilege playing with you tonight."

Music: It was very well done. They were used well to set the right moods in whatever scene there was music. As for the song "My Heart will go on"...well I still like it. I can understand how most of us are over it but still.

Sound effects:they were good, but i'd like to mention how when the ship was breaking in two, some the effects they used for the break were gun sound effects.

Editing: Very good editing. As far as most powerful shots I think my top three would be 1) when the ship has fully sunk and while Jack and Rose are trying to get to the surface, you watch the ship continue to go down as somewhat of a last look before it goes all the way down. 2)when Rose gets to the surface and then the camera zooms out showing hundreds of people swimming and shouting in panic and 3) when the subs that Old Rose and her granddaughter and the crew were in, go up into the surface and the picture gets darker and darker as their sort of final look at the Titanic.

And that is my review for Titanic. I my not be perfect with the romance, but darn it, it's still an excellent film for so many of us to remember that terrible, infamous sinking of the RMS Titanic.

No comments:

Post a Comment