Sunday, August 14, 2011

Guys and Dolls (1955)

My Rating: 80%

Okay, I've already seen this before, but I had to see this again before making my review. I already saw this again before I put the Brando marathon on hold but I had yet to write the review. So here's the next Brando film: Guys and Dolls.

Plot: Nathan Detroit is a gambler who runs unlicensed crap games. the movie start with him trying to start one while the cops are on the heat over him and is still working on trying to marry his fiancee, Adelaide, who he's been engaged to for 14 years. Meanwhile, his friend Sky Masterson takes on a bet with Nathan that he can go on a date with Sergeant Sarah Brown who works at the Save a Soul Mission.

This is a fun film. The characters are exciting, the plot is good, and the dancing and music is well done. It's a good musical film to enjoy.

Acting/Characters:
Frank Sinatra/Nathan Detroit: He is a very enjoyable character. And an excellent singer (duh). YOu have to like what he goes through.
Vivian Blaine/Adelaide:She is a very strong actress. you have to like how she performs her songs.
Marlon Brando/Sky Masterson:He has a pretty fun character too.
Jean Simmons/Sergeant Sarah Brown:Very good character. The best parts are when she got drunk.

Music: I love the music in Guys and Dolls. My favorite songs would have to be "Luck be a Lady," "Fugue for Tinhorns" and "Sit Down, You're Rockin' the Boat"

Editing: They did a very good job with the editing.

And that is my review for Guys and Dolls. I know this is one of my more generalizing reviews. but that's mostly because it's better to see for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment