Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Schindler's List (1993)

My Rating: 100%

I think out of the plenty of ultimate classics; that I have failed to see for so long that I'm starting to see now, I think as far as what it brings, this one is the one I wish I especially saw sooner.

Plot: It's based on a true story about a businessman named Oskar Schindler of the Nazi party, who makes a factory working on army mess kits using jews and his employees during the German-initiated relocation of Polish Jews or 1939 because Jews costs less than catholic poles. But when SS Lieutenant Amon Goeth completes the new concentration camp, Schindler become affected when he witnesses from the hills, Goeth's men murdering countless jews from the ghetto. He nevertheless carefully befriends Goeth and uses him to build a sup-camp in order to keep his factory running and to keep his workers fro being randomly executed. and through that, Schindler start to work on helping as many lives a possible.

This is a very moving movie. The acting is well done, the story is powerful, and...well...it's a fricking good movie. They did a particularly good job with showing what it was like for jews at that time. Especially with the random killing. I mean the massacre at the ghetto was pretty brutal and if that wasn't enough, there's still things like seeing all those corpses being burned or all the ash coming from the chimney. And let's not forgive the symbolism with the little girl in the red dress and the candles.

Acting/characters:
Liam Neeson/Oskar Schindler: This was a very unique character...and Neeson didn't WIN FOR IT!?!?!?! I mean in all fairness, I haven't seen Philadelphia, but from what I understand about that movie comparing Hank's characters to Neeson's, it was a completely stupid choice. I mean it's no wonder that Oscar screw-up was at least nominated during Lord Naseby's blog of the biggest oscar f-ups. This character was unique in how he was playing both sides and even if he was more in the right one, he still would drink and sleep with women. But his last scene was the best part. I mean the pastor to my church has played it during a service at least a couple of times when his particular message has to do about helping or saving others. Just...well done Neeson. Well done.
Ben Kingsly/Itzhak Stern: So this is what this Kingsly fellow has done some excellent work before making movies like Prince of Persia and Tuck Everlasting. Well I have to say that Stern was a pretty good character.
Ralph Fieness/Lieutenant Amon Goeth: Gee, it's been enough that it's been over a month since witnessing the death of the Dark Lord Voldemort after ten years of my childhood spent on waiting for that moment, and now I find out that ol' Voldie has done things a bit more cold-hearted than just in Harry Potter. I mean he was killing people at random. and it seemed like he liked doing it. And I thought it was interesting when he started to get a little soft halfway through the film. and I can't believe he didn't win... I mean that f-up won in Naseby's blog so, if it was a heck of a mistake for Neeson to lose...I don't know if I want to see The Fugitive to know how big that particular mistake was.


Music: It was very good...then again, it was John Williams.

Editing: it was very well done. It won for best editing so it goes without saying that they did an excellent job.

And that is my review for Schindler's List. It is an excellent film, and I wish I saw it sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment