Saturday, August 6, 2011

Winnie the Pooh (2011)

My Rating: 80%

I looked forward to this film a lot. I mean it was wonderful opportunity to have lunch and a movie with my grandmother, especially since we hardly do anything just the two of us. It was also a good opportunity to see some old pooh stuff again. I saw the first film as those of you who read my review to it know, I watched an old video that had a few episodes of the TV series, even played it with the same TV and VHS we would watch it to for old times sake, and I used the youtube channel via blue ray to watch whatever other episode i particularly remember from you younger years. and boy have I forgotten a lot. and BOY did doing all this get the theme song to the TV show stuck in my head SEVERAL TIMES!!! It was actually more fun that it was annoying. :D but enough of that, I finally saw it with my grandma (happy day) and now it's time to review it.

So Christopher Robin sets everyone on a mission to find Eyeore a new tail. the next day, Pooh visits Chrstopher Robin only to find a note. he gives it to Owl because he can't read and Owl tell him that it's a note saying that he's been kidnapped my a terrible monster called the Backson so everyone goes to find the Backson and capture it.

Now generally, I enjoyed this film. but what really gets into my skin is the subplot about the Backson. the problem is, is that it's the same exact concept of Pooh's Grand Adventure:the search for Christopher Robin. Now i apologize for saying that because that probably spoiled this film for some of you who have seen that film and remember it. there was still creativity to it, and part of the ending of that subplot i liked, but I was not happy for their - in my opinion as a Winnie the Pooh fan - major lack of originality for their plot. But the good news is that even though they have that flaw, there film in general was so much fun. the comedy was good, the characters were, well the characters, and all around, it was still Winnie the Pooh.

Actors/Characters:
John Cleese/Narrator: He just did his job. We was the narrator, John Cleese style. there's nuthun much to say to that.
Jim Cunnings/ Tigger and Winnie the Pooh: Tigger I liked because we was just as he was suppose to be. just how we love him. For Pooh, we has too, but you have to like who he was more of a friend in the end of this film where he choose helping a friend over honey...i mean when does he ever do that?
Tom Kenny/Rabbit: blood frick it I hated him as rabbit. When i head that he did the voice at first, I was alright with it...but that was before I found out he was going to use a lot of his Wheelie voice the whole time. what the heck? Rabbit was awesome aside from that, but seriously, hate the casting here.
Bud Luckey/Eyeore:I also hated the casting here too, really just because it doesn't make any sense to replace Peter Cullen as Eyeore with no explanation. no really, i've tried looking up an explanation, there's no explanation why he's not voiced by Cullen. But luckly, just like Rabbit, Eyeore was still fun.
Travis Oates/Piglet: nothing special. he was just Piglet. which is not bad, it's just nothing new.
Craig Ferguson/Owl: Same character, except there was one scene that was just hilarious. I also liked that everyone glared at him in the end since they didn't do that in Search for Christopher Robin for the same reason.

Music:eh, the songs are okay. It's not "Rain Cloud" or "The Wonderful thing about Tiggers." But it's enough that they did in fact start with the original intro song. but my personal favorite part to that song was that wen they introduced the characters into that song, that they added Tigger. FINALLY!!!! that's how it went. *singing* And Kanga, and little Roo (and Tigger too) I remember only too well how i thought about that when I was little. "Why do they leave out Tigger?" I mean Honey Tree is the only one out of the original four shorts where he's not there. The rest of the time, he's probably there more often than Christopher Robin.

And that is my review for Winnie The Pooh. I really think it could've been so much more, and i disagree with some of the voice cast, but it still has the Winnie the Pooh charm to make it fun for all to enjoy Like my grandmother and I did when we saw it. OH and btw, word of advice if you have yet to see it: stay in the theater until after the credits. My grandmother and I wish we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment