Sunday, August 28, 2011

Battleship Potemkin (1925)

My Rating: 100%

Well currently, I'm finally back at film school, so right now i'm taking a Understanding of Film Expression class and with most of that comes watching a lot of film in order to learn particular things about all kinds of film expression. So a lot of the reviews i'm going to write in the future are going to be films that I'm going to watch such as this film, 400 blows, The Graduate, and Bonnie and Clyde. So without further ado, I give you my ado to this excellent silent film; Battleship Potemkin.

Plot: This is set in 1905 where a Russian crew od the battleship Potemkin create a mutiny against their officers and start to for a rebellion against the Tsarist regime.

This as clever but brutal film. The messed up thing to me was the stairs scene. no one was safe, not the little boy, not the mother or even her precious baby in that carriage. But what's messed up to me is that it didn't even actually happen during this particular event. It apparently was more something to put in the film to give an idea about that particular time. In fact, this film has been re edited by the government a few times to get rid of some of the more brutal moments.

Normally I'd give you a section that list the main actors but there isn't really any in this film. In a sense, the crew is all one in fighting against their enemies. There are some named here and their but nothing to me that was exactly the most important character in the film aside from the character Grigory Vakulinchuk's brief part in the film. That aside, I'll just say that the acting was very well done and everyone did an excellent job with showing us these suspenseful or brutal events.


Choreography/Editing: They've done and excellent job with the choreography and editing. This film was very well shot and I liked what they really did with the editing. most of what they did in something suspenseful was repeatedly showing several things in some very quick cuts to build the suspense and acknowledge every single detail that happens. especially at the very end where the music slowly but surly gets louder and louder as it focuses on the ship and the squadron, the cannons aiming, the engines going like crazy and so on. It's a very good film to show to give the idea of giving suspense by making a lot of quick cuts.


And that is my review for Battleship Potemkin. next class we'll be watching The General, and I look forward to what I may learn there.

No comments:

Post a Comment