Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)

My Rating: 70%

Well I saw this shortly after seeing the original film like I said in my review to those films. So here's what I got for this film.

Plot: Will Rodman is a scientist working to find a cure for Alzheimer's disease. He tests his current cure for Alzheimer on chimps. but one starts to attack and then gets put down and i later turned out to actually to have been doing that to protect her baby. Will takes the baby home and names him Caesar when he discovers that the chimp has the cure passed down through his genes . Caesar grows up to gain high intelligence and develops very quickly. as the years go on, Will uses the cure to cure his dad who has Alzheimer's, but the cure doesn't last, and eventually the Alzheimer's comes back and hit his father worse to the point where the unwittingly tries to drive a neighbor's car. When the neighbor threatens him, Caesar attacks the neighbor and so is forced into the primate sanctuary where the apes are treated poorly which gives Caesar the idea to rebel against the humans.

Most of this was predictable, I mean the trailer shows to much and I did see it in theaters several times. But it still had some stuff to add that made it interesting. I mean the characters were nice, I liked that it had the story about the dad, and I especially liked that when Will was introducing the cure, he said "the cure to Alzheimer's", not just "the cure" like he said in the trailer. that was just cheesy. And it didn't go as far as I thought it would with the whole event, thus the likely possibility of some sequels, but I thought how they ended it was a good way to end this particular beginning. The action was hardly there and it was okay with when there was. But what was really dumb was a lot fo the apes jumping of a few story building and landing on the ground fine...that doesn't make sense.

Actors/Characters:
James Franco/Will Rodman: I liked his characters for the most part. I mean he was one of those characters whose friend is misunderstood. I think Franco did pretty well all around.
John Lithgow/Charles: I liked his last scene. really because it was another one of those scenes where what the characters do without talking says it all.
David Oyelowo/Jacobs: *WARNING: spoiler* his death made no sense. I mean he was killed by that particular ape who he gave high intelligence to with the new version of the cure. Jacobs didn't do anything to that ape aside from that, and he killed him. That was a big hole in the movie.
Andy Serkis/Caesar:Once again, he did an excellent job with his character. Caesar was a very well put together character and i'm curious to see more.
Tom Felton/Dodge Landon: here's a hint: Draco Malfoy; a big jerk since 2001.


Music: The music was alright. it was nice.

Editing: I think it was well done. it had some nice and easy to understand.

and that is my review for Rise of the Planet of the Apes. A fair amount was ruined for me like the original Planet of the Apes, but it turned out to be a lot more interesting with what wasn't expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment