Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Planet of the Apes (1968)

My Rating: 60%

It wasn't until shortly before my family and I went to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes that I finally went to see this film. but by the time I did, I already knew the general bit of this entire movie, so bear with me with what I'm going to say about this film.

Plot: Astronaut Taylor and his partners were in hibernation in space for slightly more than two thousand years until they finally crash on an unknown planet. One of them died in space while the rest of them went off to find life in this world. as they go deeper into the desert, they encounter some humans that are mute and primitive. But then some apes in horseback attack the humans and the astronauts killing one and capturing Taylor and another one who is knocked unconscious. The Apes are discovered to be able to talk unlike the humans and live in a strict caste system.


Don't get me wrong, this for the most part is creative and is well done. The problem is, I already know exactly what happens. I've heard about what happens, I've seen the musical spoof that's done in The Simpsons, and over a decade before that, I saw some thing where they showed how much Homer was impersonating the reaction to Tyler seeing the statue of liberty. and not only was there hardly anything unexpected, nothing went on after that. I mean there's the sequels but I wish there was something unexpected in just this particular film besides a few classic lines, getting to know the characters and a few other odds and ends. So that felt a little boring while kind of interesting to me.

Acting/Characters:
Charles Heston/Taylor: He did a pretty good job at his character. I'm a little curious as to hwo things go for him in particular in the sequels.
Roddy McDowall and Kim Hunter/Cornelius and Zira: You do have to dislike how things go all around for them. they get so shut out. I did like how Zira looked with her hair & all as far goes as making the apes like we human are at that particular time.


Music: eh, nothing special to me. just same stuff from back in the time.

Editing: eh, it did it's job. nothing much.

and that is my review for Planet fo the Apes. I think it's okay but it has been spoiled too much for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment