Friday, April 15, 2011

Pocahontas (1996)

My Rating: 60%

simply put, it's another one of my childhood favorites when I was growing up.


Plot: In, 1607, Pocahontas begins to wonder what her path is as her father arranges a marriage to her and the warrior, Kocoum. As she begins to wonder, some British sailors of the Virginia Company come to her land primarily to settle there but mostly for their leader, Governor Radcliffe to find gold. Then world collide as she falls in love with Captain John Smith.

I loved this as a kid when i grew up. I just found it a very lovable film. I still remember very well the time when i had my toy John Smith helmet and sword. Because while it may not have been the greatest thing that came out of the Disney Renaissance, But it still has a lot of the things from music to characters that makes it a fun thing to watch.

Actors/Characters:
Irene Badard/Pocahontas:She's adventurous, curious about the world of the white people and has a care about the life that's in hers (thus the why most people think of Pocahontas when they think of the plot to Avatar.)
Mel Gibson/John Smith: I liked him. He had a way of being adventurous yet caring to what Pocahontas believes.
David Ogden Stiers/Governor Radcliffe and Wiggins: Radcliffe was an interesting villain and Wiggins was an amusing villain sidekick. the only other thing to say is that I thought it was interesting that they are both voiced by the guy who voices as Cogsworth in Beauty and the Beast.
Christian Bale/Thomas: When I got older and became more familiar with Christian Bale, i could not believe that he was the man who voiced as Thomas in this film. not. at. all. that aside, I really liked Thomas. he was a good character.
John Kassir, Danny Mann, and Frank Welker/Meeko, Percy and Flit:They were the comic relief of the film and they were very fun. mostly Meeko and Percy but Flit has her moments too.


Music: Once again Disney especially made a wonderful movie particularly by its music. "Colors of the Wind", "Savages", "Mine, Mine, Mine" and "If I never knew you" (however I dislike what they came up with to add the last one into the film in the extended addition.)

and that is my review for Pocahontas.

No comments:

Post a Comment