Friday, May 31, 2013

Goldfinger (1964)

Rating: 90%
Here's the third James Bond movie, Goldfinger.

Plot: After destroying a drug laboratory, James Bond is assigned to observe a bullion dealer named Auric Goldfinger. He starts by starting a relationship with one of his employees, Jill. But when Goldfinger find out, he has her killed by having his assistant Oddjob cover her in paint which kills her by 'epidermal suffocation'. Later Bond and the British Intelligence learn that his true plan is to smuggle gold internationally, so Bond has to find out how and - you guessed it - stop him.

This is another great film of James Bond. While it stops focusing on SPECTRE, it give us a new and rather unique villain and an also interesting sidekick. Oddjob especially I've more or less have been familiar with before because of the video game Nightfire where I learned about his special weapon, but apparently during the end of this movie, he ended up giving us a little more of what makes him quite the person for Bond to go up against. As for Goldfinger himself, he has especially been ranked # 49 in AFI's 100 Heroes and Villains list. And while I'm not totally sure I understand why he's such a great villain, especially considering what his master plan more or less turned out to be, I still can tell what makes him so popular. Despite whatever issues I have with his plan, it was still rather unique for someone whole has a love for gold and what he intends to do with it. Though honestly I would've liked to have seen more of him having Oddjob killing people with gold paint. I just thought that was fairly creative and I wished that I saw more of that. As for everything else, the story and action were very well done and the story especially seemed to have a big impact on the series as a whole. How that's the case, I"m not completely sure, but obviously that's something that I'll find out about as I go further into these films. Also this is the film where we are given that laser scene. In other words, if you are wondering how so many TV shows especially have been making a big cliche out of a villain trying to dispose of a secret agent or other kind of hero by strapping them to a table and firing a laser that's working its way trying to kill the hero, this is the film that started it all. Other impacts this film made are the classic line "A martini shaken not stirred"  (which I think was more or less already said in the first movie by Dr. No, but I guess the way Bond said it worked well enough to make it a thing) and also the song Goldfinger which has become a very memorable song that they even played in the last Academy Awards.

And that's y review for Goldfinger. It have us very memorable villains, great action and story, and a classical quote and song that makes it one of the best Bond film to apparently a lot of people.  

No comments:

Post a Comment