Friday, May 3, 2013

A Man of all Seasons (1966)

Rating: 75%
Okay this is the third to last best picture winner from the 60's.

Plot: The film surrounds around Sir Thomas More back around the time of Kind Henry VIII in England. It begins with Cardinal Wolsey asking him to support his attempt in helping Henry VIII obtain a divorce from Catherine of Aragon, but More refuses. As a result, the council and even Henry VIII himself try to convince him to give his support. Meanwhile a young acquaintance of his named Richard Rich tries to think of ways to bring him down along with Thomas Cromwell.

This was just a nice movie for me honestly. As far as story goes, it's definitely nice because I do like the general tale about Henry VIII and his wives, which is what I particularly enjoyed a lot about the movie Anne of A Thousand Days. So naturally, a movie that has a little bit to do with that part of history would be interesting. And to an extent, it was. I'm pretty sure I never really even heard of Sir Thomas More from either when my mother would play this book on CD about Henry VIII or when I was studying about Europe in my history class during my senior year in high school. So it was a little nice to learn a little something from during the time between Henry VIII was working on divorcing Catherine of Aragon and a little after he married Anne Boleyn. But that doesn't necessarily mean I completely enjoyed the movie with little to no doubt whatsoever. Because putting all of that aside, I thought it was just an okay movie. It's wasn't that big of a film as far as an adaption from a play or otherwise, and not a lot of characters really stood out - except for Robert Shaw as Henry VIII who gave a performance that was good but a little different from how I interpret the person, especially when it came to his laugh which made me think more of Robin Hood from The Adventures of Robin Hood back in 1938. Also I will admit that the choice of cast was very interesting with having actors like Orson Welles and John Hurt.


And that's my review for A Man of all Seasons. It's nothing special to me as a film, but it did still give a story that's set around the time of Henry VIII that makes it interesting enough to be a decent film to watch at the very least. 

No comments:

Post a Comment