Thursday, May 30, 2013

Dr. No (1962)

Rating: 75%
So as plenty of you have no doubt notice, I like to review a lot of franchises. And after Skyfall came to theaters and became such a hit, I noticed that when it comes to the James Bond movies, I've realized that I've never seen a James Bond movie a day in my life. I mean I've seen clips from some films here and there, but on a whole I barely know anything about James Bond aside from one video game and tons of parodies like Austin Powers and certain episodes of all sorts of tv shows like Jimmy Neutron. So for a good portion of my future reviews, I'm going to review all 23 James Bond from Dr. No to Skyfall. So let's begin this new review marathon with - what else? Dr. No.


Plot: When a British agent that is stationed in Jamaica is murdered, the British Intelligence assigns James Bond to investigate. During his investigation, he finds out that an evil scheme is happening in Jamaica, all done by the works of the evil Chinese scientist, Dr. No. So it's up to Bond to try to find out what his scheme is and stop him.

Okay for the first James bond film, I wasn't blown away per say, but in terms of getting the character introduced this film does its job well. James Bond is this clever, skilled secret agent who seduces/just charms a whole bunch of women and saves the world a lot. I really am not quite sure how else to describe him since he's a character we all know or very familiar with considering how popular he is over the years. But it's enjoyable to see this character in action nonetheless after knowing just the basic idea about him. And the really intriguing thing about the actor who plays him is that it's Sean Connery...I say that because let's face it, how often do any of us own or even watch a film or show where he's young? But I digress. The action and special effects considering its time are pretty good the story is nice and... that's kind of it. I hate to say it, but this is kind of one of these films from a franchise where I watch it and go "well alright then." Under the exception of having a gajillion gadgets and stuff like that, this film does have all the elements that you'd expect from a James Bond movie, but I don't think I found it particularly interesting other then giving us a really good way to introduce the characters and a tiny bit about the evil forces of SPECTRE. But it still had action, suspense, romance and what not that even if it's not too big of a film for me, is still an enjoyable film to watch and a good film to start off the 23 film of Bond...James Bond.      

No comments:

Post a Comment