Saturday, May 11, 2013

Midnight Cowboy (1969)

Rating: 45%
Okay so it's the last best picture winner from the 60's...man.

Plot: A Texan named Joe Buck travels to New York to become a male prostitute. Things go unsuccessfully as his naïveté gets the better of him with his small amount of costumers, he starts to lose money dramatically. But then a polio-crippled con man named Ratso cons him of $20 but later convinces Joe to stay at his place and be his manager, helping him to make a name for himself.

Yeah. I know it's probably really shocking to rate this movie so low, but trust me, if with wasn't for Jon Voight - but mostly Dustin Hoffman, or how this film worked in terms of story telling with its occasionally noticeable symbolism or story-telling with its editing, or if the movie in general wasn't any more X-rated, I wouldn't hesitate to rate this movie much lower then I did. If any of you have read my reviews for movies like Borat, and ESPECIALLY Hangover Part II, then you know that I can have a very seriously low tolerance when it comes to having nudity or sexual content in some of the most undeniably disturbing ways imaginable. And the fact that this was X-rated - the first and currently only winner to be X-rated at that - don't really help the film for me. I don't give a rats that they eventually re-rated it to just R, they rated it X first and I am sticking to that rating. Because yes, this film had ways of being pretty bad when it comes to its sex scenes or sometimes just scenes in general. So with that said, this film was by no means the highlight of my day when I saw it. However, as much as I dislike it, I do have to give it points to how good it is as a film. Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman gave out great performances - Dustin Hoffman especially was someone who I enjoyed and looked forward to the most when I was watching this film..I mean come on, it's Dustin Hoffman! And I admit that the editing worked really well with some of the symbolism or all around subtext to what was happening in some of the scenes... even when some of it is harder to understand then others and it can be a little confusing to know for sure what is real and what was just Joe or Ratso's imagination or one of Joe's flashbacks. And otherwise, the film plays out its grit very well with displaying the urban American life in New York.

And that's my review for Midnight Cowboy, you may enjoy it for its performances from Voight and Hoffman, and otherwise how well its made as a film, but otherwise, it's just X-rated disturbing, making it hardly the best thing I've ever scene and is not recommended for people who have even half the low tolerance I have for sexual content in this disturbing kind of nature.  

No comments:

Post a Comment