Thursday, May 30, 2013

Superman II (1978)

Rating: 75%
Okay so my friend Meg let me borrow her copies of the first three sequels to Superman. So with all of them seen, let's move on with this Superman marathon so to speak with Superman II.

Plot: Shortly before Krypton was destroyed, Superman's father, Jor-El sentenced the criminals General Zod, Ursa and Non to be banished into the phantom zone. Years later, the phantom zone is shattered by a shock wave from a hydrogen bomb from Earth and so the group is free and also now has the powers of superman because of the Earth's sun. So they start to take over the world and - what else? It's up to Superman to stop them.

The rating for this movie was a little hard to do cause as a film I'm not sure if it's better or worse per say then the first. Because on the whole, it is a good film and another example of a well made superhero movie. But I feel things are kind of balanced (for lack of better term) between what they did better, and what they did worse then the first Superman movie. Now what's good about this movie is that it still genuinely acts and feels like it's Superman. The action is good, the characters are developed very well to how the characters are suppose to be from the comics, and they have some pretty good villains for Superman to face. Is General Zod the way he's suppose to be in the comics? Well I can't say because I don't read very much Superman comics, but from what I know they give us who General Zod basically is as one of the main enemies of Superman. And who knows how in the world he's going to turn out in Man of Steel. For what the film particularly did better, there was more action, and best of all for me personally, we got way more into the relationship between Superman and Lois Lane. I know I didn't really mention this in my review for the first film, but I sort of felt like there could've been a little more between them besides that moment when they're flying together. But here, their relationship is one of the main focuses of the film and what they did with it I really enjoyed. But again, the amount of things that were done better were kind of balanced with what was done worse. One example is the humor to this film. When I reviewed the first movie, I mentioned that one of my main issues to it was how Lex Luthor was acting like a silly childish villain with his sidekick Otis and other moments in the film that kind of downgraded him as a character. Now thankfully we see the last of Otis before we went really far into this movie, but that didn't save the movie from having any less ridiculous humor. Again like I basically said for the first movie, I know that this is for kids, but they really needed to cut the humor down a notch. In fact there's a moment where Zod and his companions are causing terror all over Metropolis, and the makers of the film decided to just go into just slapstick comedy for the people of the city rather then making it serious as to what the villains are doing. I'm not exactly saying that there shouldn't be any comedy at all to this movie, but how they gave us it just ruined some moments. The second example of how things were worst in this movie I won't say because it's at the very end of the movie, but apparently I'm not the only one who had this major issue so... yeah if you see this movie for the first time, beware of the ending.

And that's my review for Superman II. Some things were done better, some things were worse, but ultimately we still have a very good Superman movie that was loyal to the comics, devoted with their characters and debatably is as equally entertaining as the first movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment