Saturday, October 13, 2012

Grand Hotel (1932)

Rating: 70%
Alright so next for best picture winners from the 30's is Grand Hotel. So here's my review for it.

Plot: The story is set at this grand hotel in Berlin where Baron Felix von Geigern is there to steal a necklace from a Russian ballerina named Grusinskaya. But while he is planning this, he befriends a very nice old man named Kringelein who is dying of an illness and his spending his money on the hotel to make the most of life, and also becomes interested in a stenographer named Flaemmchen who is assisting her boss in a business deal. But one night while Felix is trying to steal Grusinskaya's necklace, she comes to her room unaware of him and is stressing about her career and is tempted to commit suicide, but he stops her and they engage in conversation overnight and become attracted to each other to the point where she decides to offer him to come with her to Vienna. Felix agrees and so decides to find a way to get the money to go.

This movie I thought was just nice. The story was good, the characters have a nice amount of charm (especially Kringelein), and it was just nicely acted. I think my issue with it was that it didn't cling on too me as much as I would've hoped on a whole. I mean I'm not saying it's bad, I mean I know it's a good film, that's why I'm rating it a 70%, but somehow I wasn't as appealed as I wanted to. I have no idea why, but that's just me. But I will say that what happens roughly close to the end of the movie did make it much more interesting. Because while possibly not everyone will like what happened, that's roughly when I started to be more interested in what was happening to these characters. In fact, I wish there was more to the story then what they gave us considering certain characters. But I digress.

So that's basically my review for Grand Hotel. It may have taken a while before I could really get into it and even, I wish there could be more, but it's still a nice movie with good story and characters and is all around a good best picture winner to watch from those days...I mean it definitely beats the crap out of Cimarron and Broadway Melody (I know that's from the 20's) if not anything else.
     

1 comment:

  1. Just about everything bad that could happen to Wallace Beery's character did. I wonder what audiences during the Great Depression thought of a corporate giant being destroyed?

    ReplyDelete