Monday, October 29, 2012

Mean Girls (2004)

Rating: 65%
This was a film I remember seeing only once through the dish at home during... I think my sophomore year of high school. I kind of wanted to watch it again to see if it really is as nice of a film as I remember it. Now I have just done that, so here's my review for Mean Girls.


Plot: Cady is a 16 year old girl who has been home-schooled all her life due to her parents' work in Africa. But her parents have decided to get her to interact with with kids her age so they send her to a public high-school. She has trouble fitting in the first day, but she then eventually befriends a Gothic girl named Janis and a gay guy named Damien who help her understand the society of high school. They particularly warn Cady about going anywhere near the trio of popular girls called The Plastics. But when The Plastics take an interest in her and accept her into their group, Janis and Damien decide to use the oppertunity to spy on them and get revenge for the things they're done to them. Cady isn't too much into their scheme at first, but when the lead Plastic, Regina deliberately steals back her ex-boyfriend knowing that Cady has a crush on him, she decides to take part in Janis and Damien's plan.

Now this movie isn't entirely as good as I remember it, but it's at least a nice film still. Part of the matter I think is that this film is not really for everybody due to how it's solely just showing the life of girls that think they're all so popular or otherwise just another film that really displays what life is like in high school...even if it's a bit exaggerated at points in my opinion. But that aside, while the story has a few cliches, it did have a couple of things that where creative or at least clever that helped make the movie more enjoyable. Some of the comedy was cute, the characters were alright, and...well it's definitely nice to see Tina Fey and that woman from Park & Recreation in the movie (I mean I never really bothered to see that show but I'm sure some of you who have will like seeing here there.)

Actors/Characters:
Lindsay Lohan/Cady: Entertainment Weekly stated once that there was a time where Lindsay Lohan was best known for her acting rather than her party-hopping. Sadly I have to agree. I remember a time when I though Lohan was an enjoyable young adult actress to watch with this movie and also the reboots of Freaky Friday and The Parent Trap. (both of which I might eventually review soon) All the same, she was enjoyable in this film and...for old yet mostly forgotten times sake, let's pray that maybe one day looking at gossip and news of her being arrested or on trial is somehow no longer all we hear anymore about Lindsay Lohan.
Rachael McAdams/Regina: She was good too. Thought I have a hard time she's the same woman who plays Irene Adler in the Sherlock Holmes movies. *shrugs* just comes to show that she can be totally different characters when it comes to her being a 'queen bee' in this movie and Iron Ma- I mean Sherlock Holmes' love interests in two others.

And that's my review for Mean Girls. It's not as good as I remembered, but it can still be good as far goes as some nice story telling and comedy, a fair interpretation of what life in high school can be, and a monument if you will, for what Lindsay Lohan once was. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment