Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Psycho (1960)

Rating: 100%
Yeah it's Halloween and as such, it is logical to review a classic or two. And with the Hitchcock movie coming up soon, what movie from that brilliant director would do the trick more this semester then Psycho.

Plot: Marion is a secretary who is in need of money to help her boyfriend pay off his debts. When she is sent to deposit 40,000 dollars to the bank by her employer, she instead takes the money and starts to drive off to Phoenix, Arizona where her boyfriend is on a business trip. If you want to know the rest...WATCH THE MOVIE!!!!!

I meant what I said from the end of the plot paragraph. If you haven't seen this film, then it's kind of my duty if you will as a fellow movie goer to see to it that you still don't know what happens until you have. I mean what can I say about this movie that many film reviews before me haven't' already said? It's just a very well done movie. The script, the characters, the editing, the music, it's all done so brilliantly. It's filled with so much excitement, mystery and suspense in ways that really take part in this film making both horror and film history.

Actor/Character:
Anthony Perkins/Norman Bates: What can I say about this character without giving anything away. He's just a brilliant psychotic character that was well written and well acted and it's little wonder he's # 2 on AFI's list of top villains.

Editing: I'm just going to confirm that the editing in the shower scene worked very well in creating the suspense and mystery.

Music: Now everyone has heard of the track where the violins are screeching at least dozens of times in their life even if they haven't actually seen the movie. And that worked very well with the movie and it's so big and unique that it's little wonder everyone's heard it even if they haven't seen the film. The rest of the soundtrack was very well done and I guess I would roughly agree with Alfred Hitchcock when he said that 33% of the effect of Psycho was due to the music"

And that's my review for Psycho. I know I'm not giving much away for those of you who haven't seen it, but rest assured that it's for your own good and that for now you should just trust me and make sure that you don't wait much longer to see it for yourselves and know what I mean when I say that it's a total masterpiece straight off the bat.

No comments:

Post a Comment