Saturday, October 6, 2012

Million Dollar Baby (2004)

Rating: 100%
Million Dollar Baby...what more do I need to say?

Plot: Maggie is a waitress who shows up in a Los Angeles gym called the Hit Pit in hopes to be trained by its owner, Frankie to become a professional boxer. Frankie doesn't want to train her because of her age and gender, but she keeps working out at the gym tirelessly even when he keeps trying to discourage her. Eventually after finding a trainer that turn out to not be very helpful for her, he agrees to train her and work on making her way to welterweight boxing division.

This is a spectacular movie. The acting is brilliantly done, the story was well wrote, it was full of drama, action and even some cute moments of comedy, all that good stuff. Now most critics seem to not really care for what happens around the second half of the film, and sure I can respect that. What happens is not for everyone, but to me, while I still don't like what happened, I also think it works when it comes to telling a dark, dramatic and slightly unique story.

Actors/Characters:
Clint Eastwood/Frankie: Now I can't really say how Clint Eastwood was as an actor because I haven't seen much of his films...in fact I think this is the only one I've seen. (Yeah I know, I'm living under a rock) But he still gave us a really good character. I mean what I particularly liked about him the second time I watched this film that I didn't the first time was how he was always just being careful in a caring sort of way when it comes to who he trains and who the person he trains fights. I know that's meant to be his weakness of sorts but I liked that anyway, especially with just the way he displays it.
Hilary Swank/Maggie: Yeah. She deserved the Oscar win. Just the way she was acting with how she had gone from just a waitress to being a boxer and then go to what happens during the end was just beautiful, realistic-looking, and just so well done.

And that's my review for Million Dollar Baby. While some my not like the second half, it's still a wonderful, dramatic film that is easily a masterpiece.    

No comments:

Post a Comment