Wednesday, October 10, 2012

American Beauty (1999)

Rating: 100%
I've been waiting probably too long to see this movie. I've always wanted to know what was so big about it to win best picture along with being one of my brother's favorite films. But now I have finally seen it, so here's my review for American Beauty.

Plot: Lester Burnham is a middle-aged magazine writer who has a bland marriage with his wife and has a high school daughter that barely talk to him anymore. But when he comes to his daughter's cheer-leading performances, he notices her friend Angela and becomes entranced by her beauty to the point that he wants to sleep with her.

This film turned out to be a lot better then I thought it was going to be honestly. I mean I was concerned that I wasn't going to think that it wasn't all that great because I already knew what it was generally about, but thankfully, it didn't turn out that way. I mostly say that because this film didn't focus so hard on Lester wanting to have sex with Angela, it also gave us all these side stories and characters like Lester's family and their neighbors and so on which were very enjoyable - and in the case of Jane and Ricky, fascinating. Also the acting is extremely well done. And the cinematography is beautiful, and you can also enjoy the symbolism that this film gives us - particularly when it comes to using roses or rose petals.

Actors/Characters
Kevin Spacey/Lester: He gave an excellent performance. Just displaying how much Lester went though and how he kept changing as a person throughout it was very well done. And while not telling you what happens during the end, I thought what he did was fairly noble.
Wes Bentley/Rickey: I really liked how unique his character was. I mean while we got to know Rickey more he became so much more fascinating to watch in a way that made me care more and more about what he's going through and with what might happen to him. Bentley really did an terrific job in his acting.

And that's my review for American Beauty. It's a beautifully put together film with fascinating stories, interesting characters, excellent cinematography and symbolism and just a perfectly done movie all around.      

No comments:

Post a Comment