Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Hunger Games (and what I thought about Titanic in 3D) (2012)

Rating: 65%
Well rejoice if you'd like my small amount of loyal readers. I finally saw this freaking movie. It took longer than a lot of us, but I saw it. So let's take a look.

Plot: So after a big war against these rich people who live in a place called the Capital, every year, one boy and one girl between ages 12 to 18 in each of these twelve poor districts have to be selected in an annual lottery (apparently known as the "Reaping") where all 24 participants are suppose to play these Hunger Games where only one of them is suppose to come out of there alive in order to win. Katniss Everdeen's sister in district 12 is selected to be the girl this year for the games, but she volunteers to take her place. So she ends up in the hunger games along with the boy who is also representing her district named Peeta.

My honest opinion is that I hope I see more in the sequels when I read them, then I did with this movie and I possibly will when i read the book. I mean don't get me wrong, the idea is creative. But I feel that they could've shown me more than what they already show in the trailer. They did a little bit, when they actually got to the hunger games, but I feel like they could've done more. Although, in all honesty, I do feel this way because the way some people explained about the whole franchise, I thought part of the genre was fantasy in a way. Either that or that's a little bit what I probably would've done if I was told to write a story with the basic concept that I was given because of the trailer. I mean there's still a lot of creative things to enjoy, it's just that it wasn't as big as i thought it was going to be. As far as other issues, my brother warned me long before I saw the movie that there was apparently some seriously crappy camera work. Now I don't completely agree with him. I mean there was one fight scene were it was shaky enough that Michael Bay and a bunch of other action movie makers may have some competition. But the cameras after that didn't shake that much. I mean there's a lot of room for improvement in terms of lacking hand-held camera shots, but it's not that bad. Also *WARNING SPOILER* I have to admit that the whole relationship between Katniss and Peeta was a little sudden and it didn't really make a lot of sense. I mean what about that boyfriend she had earlier in the film?  I know she's going through a lot of crap with it being survival of the fittest and all, but after only a couple of days in the Hunger Games she's going to fall for the guy? Actually what's worse is kind how the falling in love started. I mean they eventually changed the rules so that two people can win if they're from the same district, so she starts finding him. Roughly as soon as the rule is changed is when she starts to really care about him. I mean they were kind just friends before, but then the rules change and then she's acting like she'd run a thousand miles to wrap her arms around him and never let him go. It really doesn't make sense to me. *END OF SPOILER*


Acting/Characters:
Jennifer Lawrence/Katniss Everdeen: She did a very good job with her acting. I think she did a decent job at her more dramatic scenes.
Josh Hutcherson/Peeta Mellark: I thought he did a nice job. But I do kinda of wonder if there's a little more to him in the book now that I think about it.

Music: I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the music. But it think it was good.

Editing: I thought the editing was good, but I thought the flashbacks where a little too quick and random. at least the first two. But it was still good.

And that's my review for The Hunger Games. It was only a nice film to me, but maybe I'll get a little more truly into it once I get into the books.


Okay so about less than two hours after I saw The Hunger Games, I went to see Titanic 3D with my sister. (Good grief it's messed up that it's April 10th 2012, which means it's already been 100 years since the Titanic departed from England) Now the 3D is just. completely. spectacular. They were really thorough with what they did. They made it look like you are really there by going 3D on every thing. I mean they even went really 3D on just the littlest of things from the rubble in the ruin of the Titanic to even the wrinkles on Older Rose. So really, if you want a really good idea on how far 3D has gone as of today, I'd recommend going to see Titanic 3D. Cause really the only down to it was that my sister had the nerve to text her boyfriend through...possibly close to the whole movie (I don't know if it's the whole movie. I wasn't paying complete attention...I mean why would I give that my undivided attention when I'm watching Titanic?...on the big screen like in 1997?...except it's in beautifully done 3D?...) If you want to know what I thought about the movie itself, here's the link to my review:  http://haksreviews.blogspot.com/2011/08/titanic-1997.html. And remember that very late Saturday night is when the terrible tragedy turns 100 years old. So if you want to do something about it that night, I say go for it. I myself already have my profile pic as a picture of Wallace Hartley in the movie on my Facebook profile, and I might see the movie again that night. So all around, I ask that you do what you feel you should do if anything at all on that night to respect the 1,514 people who lost their lives 100 years ago.

2 comments:

  1. She isn't meant to fall for Peeta immediately, it is meant to be a relationship for PR, because he was better with the audience than she was and he made the whle public confession of love. So, it was to make her seem more relatable. And Gale is not her boyfriend, he's just her hunting buddy. Glad you mildly enjoyed it at the very least, considering you haven't read the books. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Harley. And that's good to know. But yes, that does bring in all the more that I have not read the books and I hope I will before long.

      Delete