Monday, April 30, 2012

Amélie (2001)

Rating: 90%
Now once again we come across a really awesome movie that I've never seen before. And apparently it's a good deal that I've seen it now because this is actually one of my dad's favorite films. And he's a pretty skeptical guy. So if this movie was one of his favorites, then you know I have to see it. But anyway, here's my review for Amélie.

Plot: Amélie Poulain is a young woman who lives in Paris who works at Cafe des 2 Moulins and has a unusual active imagination. Then when she hears the news about the death of Princess Diana on TV, she drops a bottle cap that knocks over a bathroom wall title and loosens it. she find out that behind it is a box of treasures from a boy that lived in her apartment years ago. She finds the boy who is not a very old man and gives him his box back which makes him very happy. So she makes it her goal throughout life to bring happiness to others.

This was a very unique and enjoyable movie. And what's even better is that it's a romantic comedy. I say that because it's completely different from most romantic comedies that we have nowadays. Because when we think romantic comedies, we think of the stories about 1) a man and a woman who fall in love, break-up for some reason and then get back together, (ex. Corrina Corrina, Return to Me and even sadly Bridesmaids at the end of the day)  2) one is engaged or thinks is in love with a man or woman, but he/she starts to fall in love with his/her love interest's friend, or brother/sister, or someone no one knows or something like that. (ex. While you are Sleeping) and there's plenty of other ones stories that are often used that I can't think of.  Sadly we only think of romantic comedies that way because that's just about the kind of stories we are often going to get when we have romantic comedies or often than not. So that's why I enjoy the story to this movie, because of how it's one of the few romantic comedies that we have received so far in the 21st century that has a totally different style, concept, and story all around such as Easy A, Crazy Stupid Love, and Big Fat Greek Wedding. It's partially different because the actual romance doesn't kick in until later, but even when we do, we see close to no kissing or sexual content or anything like what we usually get with this genre, we just get the story about it along with all the side stories, and that's basically it. Now this movie is also known for its very well done art direction. And one time when I told a friend that I finally saw the movie, he asked if it was just all artsy. Now is it?... depends on what you mean by 'just all artsy'. Honestly, based on how I interpret that question, there's plenty of art to notice, but it's...I want to say simple. Just plain artsy from the way it sounds to me would be something more like the art design that they did for movies like Moulin Rouge where the direction is more complex. So from the way I interpret that question, no, this movie is not 'just all artsy'.

Acting/Characters:
Audrey Tautou/Amélie Poulain: I really enjoyed her acting. Amelie was this active, clever, and in some ways shy young woman who did indeed have quite an imagination.

 Music: I don't have anything to be completely for or against the concept of french music, but I thought it was nice.


Editing: I don't remember too much about the editing, but I think I thought it was well done when i saw it.


And that's my review for Ameile. If you want to see a unique romantic comedy with a fun main character and some very nice art design, this movie is for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment