Friday, April 20, 2012

Patton (1970)

Rating: 100%
Now the actual main character of this movie I was well aware of for quite a couple of years before I finally saw this film. I saw the beginning scene a few times and I even spoofed it for a project in my theater class during my last days in high school. But still, it has taken a long time for me to fully see it which I have finally done today. So here's my review for the best picture winner of 1970, Patton.

Plot: To put it briefly, the story is about General George S. Patton (obviously) during a lot of the battles that he did in World War II such as the battles in North Africa, Sicily, and all the way to the Battle of the Bulge and shows the stuff he did throughout the war and during the end of the war (I think).

To put it plainly, this was a very well done movie. It is a little long. I mean it's almost 3 hours. But they did a very good job with those close to 3 hours. the editing, the acting, the action and of coarse the way they developed General Patton. Now naturally it isn't too accurate, or at least from what I understand from looking up on Wikipedia - yes I know that's a terrible sight to use but in my experience, it's good to at least give you a good gist in covering what you're after - but it's pretty loyal to what happens regardless. I will say this though: when I started watching this movie I began to wonder if it was somewhat going to be similar to Lawrence of Arabia. I mean it sort of it in the extent that they were in the desert in the beginning of the movie and how both main characters were very successful leaders. But there's also their deaths after their parts in battle considering both of them died in a sort of road accident. Lawrence of coarse died riding his motorcycle, but - and this is not in the movie - Patton also died in the road. And that is sadder is that while Lawrence died long after WWI, Patton actually died just the day before he was finally leaving to go back to the U.S.A. Interesting thing to have in common but it's very sad regardless.


Acting/Characters:
George C. Scott/General Patton: So this is the ultimate shinning moment in Scott's career that I kept hearing about. I mean I've seen - or what's a better way of putting it; heard: him in some of his other  movies namely Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue but primarily his awesome role as the evil Percival C. McLeach in Disney's The Rescuers Down Under. But it wasn't until now that I got to see this performance that everybody knows so well. And as it probably goes without saying, he did a darn fine job. He showed us this clever, occasionally feared, stubborn but ultimately highly respected leader that took part in all these battles. But let's not forget how he has his caring side for his soldiers and was capable of admitting it whenever he was wrong. I can see why he's #29 in AFI's 100 Heroes and Villains list.


Music: I thought it was nice, though I thought some of the music sounded similar to some other pieces. Granted most of those pieces that I'm thinking of are much younger than this film so for all we know, it's just coincidence. We may never know.

Editing: The editing was very nice especially with the action scenes which is all the more reason why i enjoyed them.

And that's my review of Patton. It gives us an excellent hero that was brilliantly performed that altogether gave us a darn fine American classic. "Alright now you sons-of- &(@#&$, now you know how I feel. Oh, and I will be proud to lead you wonderful guys into battle – anytime, anywhere.
That’s all." -General George S. Patton

No comments:

Post a Comment