Friday, April 13, 2012

An Affair to Remember (1957)

Rating: 95%
Well considering that there's an awful lot of movie classics that I have yet to see, I decided that along with the VHS tapes to finally get started in seeing A LOT of movies that I still need to see and review. There's a whole collection of DVD's at home so I'm going to finally start watching a lot of them starting with An Affair to Remember.

Plot: Nick Ferrante, a well-known playboy is currently engaged and is sailing to new york to meet her. Along the way he meets a woman named Terry McKay who is also with someone, who after a few meetings in the ship develops a friendship with him. But after briefly visiting his grandmother, they begin to fall in love.

Now this is apparently #5 on the AFI list of America's greatest love stories. Now since I'm an expect in romance films, I wouldn't know if I agree to that, but I will admit it's a fairly romantic film. It's a well made romance, with some really nice cinematography. I especially love the shot of when Terry was opening that outside window when she's in New York and it's reflection is the Empire State Building. It has it's cute moments, some really good music, the acting is very well done, it's just a really nice romantic movie. It's not for me to say that it's one of the best let alone say that it deserves to be #5 on that AFI list, but it does it's job.


Acting/Characters:
Cary Grant/Nick Ferrante: ...uuuuhhhhhh...what do I need to say? I mean let's be serious. It's Cary Grant! He does an excellent job pretty much all the time. And it was no exception with Nick. He was charming, he was clever, he was just the way we remember him.
Deborah Kerr/Terry McKay: Now I'm not as particularly familiar with Kerr as I am with Grant, But she did a very good job too. She was very charming too and she had some nice emotional moments and while her last scene wasn't the most emotional, she did a good job.

Music: The song "An Affair to Remember (Our Love Affair)" was pretty nice. I mean i'm not an expert in songs from back then, but it was we made and well sung. some of the other songs were pretty good, but it was obviously that one that stood out.

Editing: I thought the editing was fairly well done. I mean it's the usual kind of style if you will that they had back them but it was still good.

And that's my review for An Affair to Remember.I wouldn't know if it really is one of the very best, but it does it's part in bringing us a nice romantic film.

No comments:

Post a Comment