Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Bridesmaids (2011)

Rating: 20%
I hoped this would be nice. I did. It sounded a little like it would be cute, it has a 90% on rottentomatoes.com, it sounded like it was going to be a film to enjoy. Why did it not exceed my expectations? let's find out.

Plot: Annie is a single woman in her mid 30's who is asked to become the maid of honor at her best friend Lillian's wedding. Lillian introduces Annie to some of the other bridesmaids. They are Lillian's co-worker Becca, her cousin Rita, her fiancee's sister Megan and finally there is Lillian's fiancee's boss' "perfect" wife who immediately starts to compete against Annie over getting attention from Lillian. While this is happening, Annie starts to fall in love with a cop named Nathan.

Now I've heard a couple of things about this movie, but the main thing was that it was supposedly a woman version of Hangover. And while I hate both Hangover movies, it seemed interesting considering its reviews and stuff. Now is it Hangover for women? Frick no! In fact, *WARNING SPOILER* more than halfway through the movie, the plot completely changes. Because in the beginning of the movie, heck, in the trailers, we are led to believe that this is going to be about ALL of the Bridesmaids. But instead it's stays all about Annie and her problems. I mean part of what made it interesting was that Ellie Kemper was in it (a.k.a. Erin from The Office) and she was playing as Becca. Halfway through the movie, she and Rita are talking about her marriage and things like that, and it leads you to believe that this is going to be another sub-plot...and for all I knew, a really cute one that the audience would love. But after that, the next scene we see of her is at the VERY END!!! That's not all. When we focus on Annie's problems for the rest of the fricking movie, we have the rest of the movie made half like a normal, uncreative, romantic comedy,  i.e. trouble with roommates, big fight with love interest that makes it seem like it's over but it's resolved in the end, destroying party decorations that leads to her ending her friendship with her best friend but after best friend has a problem it's all good (Funny People, sort of Scott Pilgrim with the roomatespart at least in the end, I can't think of anything else) and half made like a tv show or something where there's the competition between the main character and someone who has a whole lot of money but she wins because there's something the character with money can't do. (I can't think of any at the top of my head but I know for a fact I've seen it before on some show on nickolodeon or something) Seriously? keep it all about Annie!?!?! I mean sure have some of the stuff about her personal life, but s there something wrong with making all of the bridesmaids be part of the entire movie!?!?! I mean it's called BRIDESMAIDS!!!! *END OF SPOILER* Now I do kind of like the romance between Annie and Nathan at least a little bit, but on a whole it's an unoriginal and mislead movie with at least a scene of vomit and a collection of foul words.

Acting/Characters:
Kristen Wiig/Annie: She was alright, but what really didn't help was that her character was not that original. I was roughly okay with how she was the main character at first, but they took it too far so altogether I really don't care for her character.
Melissa McCarthy/Megan: So this is the one that gave this movie a best supporting actress nomination and all that stuff. That I do not get. I mean was she at least a little creative? Yes. Did she have a little dramatic moment...well it was nothing special but she did a good job at it. But as a whole, quite honestly I'm disappointed. Maybe there weren't a lot of special performances last year - I wouldn't know, I haven't seen everything - but from where I'm kind of standing right this second, I really don't see what the fuss is about with her performance.


Music: A couple of the songs that I did notice I liked, but on a whole, I didn't pay too much attention.

Editing: They did a good job with the editing. There was nothing bad or something good that really stood out for me.

And that's my review for Bridesmaids. It's not the film I thought it was going to be, and at the end of the day, as critic Lawrence Boyce for the The Baltic Times put it; "There are things to like here and the idea is a noble one. But in execution, "Bridesmaids" is a typical chick flick just with some extra rude words and vomit."   

No comments:

Post a Comment