Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Horrible Bosses (2011)

Rating: 70%
I probably waited a little too long to review this because I borrowed and watched it the same time as Green Lantern. But who cares. I am doing it now so here we go.

Plot: Nick, Dale and Kurt are friends who each hate their bosses. Nick's boss, Dave led him to believe that he was getting a promotion and instead gave himself a promotion. Dale is constantly being sexually harassed by his boss Julia who keeps attempting to make sure that he has sex with her before he marries his fiancee. Kurt's former boss who he loved dies and his drug addict son (bobby) takes his place in the company and is ruining it. At the bar, Nick and Dale suggest that they should kill their bosses and Dale eventually agrees. So they get a hitman named "Motherf*cker" Jones who suggest that they should try to kill each others' bosses in order to keep the police from catching them, which is what they attempt to do.

This is plainly one of those nice, decent comedies that come out once in a while. Now as far as how the three main characters interact as a group, it's kinda the same thing as both Hangover movies in a sense. But the story is nice considering that the subject roughly has to do with something that a lot of people can relate to. The comedy is nice, nothing really memorable to me, but it works. And I really enjoyed how it came together especially with what happened between Dave and Bobby and how the movie went from there. I thought that worked.

Actors/Characters:
Jason Bateman/Nick: I liked how Nick was sort of the main character and the smart one in the group. Although I didn't think they laid it out as far as they should've done completely, and I'll explain that when I get to the editing.
Charlie Day/Dale: I kinda liked Dale. Just how he had this big care about wanting to be married and having a lot of messed up stuff happening to him and it seems like no one relates to him when it came to stuff like how it's not cool that Julie is trying to sleep with him and with stuff like being called a sex offender that apparently does not sound accurate. That, and I thought he sounds a lot like this guy Nate from my church. Kinda makes me want to show this movie to him and our friends and hope they see it too.
Jason Sudeikis/Kurt: I kind of liked how he was like a complete sex addict but they didn't go way to far with it...or that is to say, they didn't over develop it at least in my opinion. But what really messed with my head is how there where a lot of times that I thought Kurt looked a lot like Ed Helms. I mean when i saw the Jeremy Jahns review to this film and he admitted it himself, I was like "YES!!!!!!" because I wasn't the only one.
Jennifer Aniston/Julia: Now I've recently become a big fan of Friends and I thought it was kinda crazy to see Aniston being a completely different character. But my big issue is that she wasn't there as much as I would've liked as a Friends fan.
Kevin Spacey/Dave: Okay so this the first movie I've watched since I finally started knowing who Kevin Spacey is after I saw The Usual Suspects about four months ago. I enjoyed Dave considering how much he really was a psycho.

Music: The score is alright, but this film really does a job on you in terms of really getting "How You Like Me Now" by The Heavy stuck in your head for a while.

Editing: So my one issue with the editing was the very end. *WARNING SPOILER* The way they show how things worked out was basically showing how Nick, Kurt, then Dale where doing after the events of the film. I really think the order should've been done in reverse. Because that way would make it in the order of who kinda had it the worst in the beginning. Dale should go first because while stopping Julia was especially a big deal for him, it wasn't a big deal comparing to Nick and Kurt and his story is not one that the audience could relate to as much. Kurt goes second because he was kind of in between. Then Nick because A) he's the one we start out with in the beginning, B) he's the main narrator of the story and C) his part in the end, ends with a shot of his new boss being freeze-framed and described to what he is through text just like all the bosses were in the beginning. Considering they were going to do that for his new boss, I thought ending with that would've worked way better as an ending. *END OF SPOILER*

And that's my review for Horrible Bosses. It's a nice comedy with a nice idea, familiar actors, and came together rather well, but didn't have a completely well organized ending. But all around it worked in terms of how so many of us hate our bosses...well except for guys who like their boss like me considering how my boss is a
(see? that worked much better for an ending. and this is just on my review. case and point right there.)

No comments:

Post a Comment