Thursday, June 2, 2011

Fantasia 2000 (1999)

My Rating: 60%

Well now it's the sequel to Fantasia, Fantasia 2000. so let's get started.


Stories:

Symphony No. 5 in C minor-I. Allegro con brio: this follows with a lot of shapes and images that involve butterflies and bats as a sort of flight side vs the dark side sort of story.

Pines of Rome: This tells the story of flying Humpback Whales in a sort of place it icebergs. It begins with a family of Whales where the child gets tuck inside an iceberg but manages to get out. Later the story involves a whole pod of adult whales.

Rhapsody in Blue: This is an animated story involving the lives of several people who live in New York during the depression.

Piano Concerto No. 2 in F Major-I. Allegro: basically it's based on the story of the Tin Man.

The Carnival of the Animals, Finale: This tells the story of flamingos where a pack of them tries to get rid of another's yo-yo.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice: It's the exact same thing in the last film except Mickey is voiced by Wayne Allwine instead of Walt Disney at the end.

Pomp and Circumstance - Marches 1, 2, 3 and 4:It's the story of Noah's Ark with Donal and Daisy Duck.

Firebird Suite - 1919 Version: This is about life, death and rebirth with the elk and the spring sprite and the destructive Firebird.

What I really didn't like about these stories is that they made them a lot shorter then the ones in the first movie. I mean sure Sorcerer's Apprentice stays the same, but based on how I remembered this film when I admittingly last saw it a long time ago as well, I thought a lot of them were a little longer than that. It was like the rain starts in Pomp and Circumstance two minutes in and it's only like...2-3 minutes, give a take, before the flood is over and the animals head out of the ark. My other issue was the music. I don't know. It felt like while the stories when charming and fun, the music didn't put all of that together so well to make it just as magical if not more so than Fantasia. They only partly worked in a sense. Pomp and Circumstance is an example for this too with how most of the music is certainly more for a graduation ceremony than for telling that story. It did work for moment with the animals marching inside and outside the ark and especially for the happy ending for Donald and Daisy. But hey, with that particular story, it sure was fun to see Donald be his quick-tempered self. and I especially loved his part with Mickey before Pomp and Circumstance. Piano Concerto No. 2 in F Major-I. Allegro was enjoyable and had a better ending than the original story (trust me). Finally, while Sorcerer's Apprentice and Pomp Circumstance where my fist and second favorite, my third was definitely Firebird Suite. The concept was good but what I personally liked was the last parts in the song because I have before familiar with that part of Firebird Suite from Music Appreciation.

And that is my review for Fantasia 2000. While I think the music doesn't really fit with some of the stories and it's not a majorly magical as the first film, it still did its part in making this film fairly amusing. ...it's very messed up Steve Martin is in the beginning though.

No comments:

Post a Comment