Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Last Emperor (1987)

Rating: 65%
Okay so here's a best picture winner I've been wanting to see for a while concerning the history and all that jazz. So here's my review for The Last Emperor.

Plot: The film starts with the former emperor Pu Yi being imprisoned and interrogated as a war criminal by the Red Army in 1950. While this is happening, we go through a series of flashbacks of Pu Yi's life as an emperor ever since the day he was named emperor when he was only three.

Now before I saw this movie, by bother who has seem all of the best picture winner said that this was dull and boring and really won only because of how artistic it is. Do I agree with him?...mostly. I mean yes, artistically this movie is beautiful. The design and the way that they made the colors was wonderful without a doubt. Is the movie dull and boring?...well not completely. Like I said, I was particularly interested in the film mostly to just learn the history of the last emperor despite the fact that there might be some historical inaccuracy. (I mean there's not a lot of films based on true stories where they don't alter it a little. Am I right?) But can it be dull and boring? Absolutely! I mean when I was just half an hour into the movie, it already proved to be that it's a lot longer then it really should be without really trying. I mean they should've cut out around 40 minutes of footage to make it more a two hour movie rather then almost three. I mean there is some importance to roughly most of the footage but really they just consistently drag what's happening to the movie on several occasions.

So that's basically my review for The Last Emperor. It's a masterpiece artistically and I enjoyed it for the history, but it was dragged so much that it really was longer then it really should be which altogether makes the movie just...meh.   

No comments:

Post a Comment