Sunday, November 11, 2012

Mutiny on the Bounty (1962)

Rating: 80%
Okay so originally I was going to review the 1935 version of Mutiny on the Bounty since it's pretty much next on the list of best picture winners, but I got the Marlon Brando one from 1962 from the library by mistake. So I have the 1935 one on hold and ready for me at the library, so in the meantime, here's my review for the 1962 version of Mutiny on the Bounty.

Plot: The Bounty is making its way to Tahiti under the command of captain William Bligh. It's mission is to transport breadfruit to Jamacia. But the journey becomes difficult when Bligh's choice of discipline and lack of care for the lives of his crew disgusts his second-in-command, Fletcher Christian. Eventually this leads to the crew wishing to start a mutiny against Bligh.

This was an enjoyable movie. It's another one of these films that's around three hours long, however unlike The Last Emperor and The Great Ziegfeld, Mutiny on the Bounty takes its time very well. Does it drag? Yes. Some things possibly could've been done shorter. But otherwise it's well acted, and the settings and cinematography are well done and I thought they did a very good job in making all the things that happen on the Bounty or in Tahiti and things like that believable.

Acting/Characters:
Marlon Brando/Fletcher Christian: Now I almost reviewed this particular movie a couple of years ago during my very earlier reviews. Because at that time, I was trying to do a Marlon Brando reviewing marathon. But I decided to be lazy and not do it because of how long it was. But in any case, Brando did an alright job as Fletcher Christian. If you look at the reviews at RottenTomatoes.com for this film, you might find a fair amount of reviews saying that Brando wasn't that great in this film. I thought he was fine. Maybe his performance wasn't too different from some of his other films from around that time, but I didn't think that was too much of a problem.
Trevor Howard/Captain William Bligh: One reason it was a shame I ended up with this movie instead of the 1935 version is that the 1935 version of Bligh is apparently one of the greatest film villains of all time according to AFI. What do I have to say about this version of Bligh? *shrugs* he was evil plain and simple. What could the Bligh in the 1935 version be that's different, we'll just have to see when I watch it.

And that's my review for Mutiny on the Bounty. It drags a little but otherwise a well acted film that had good settings and stuff like that, that made it a fairly enjoyable film.      

No comments:

Post a Comment