Sunday, July 1, 2012

Footloose (1984)

Rating: 80%
I remember when I first heard the song. It was played once or twice during the Thespian Conference during my senior year in high school and used to be played a fair bit in my word processing class later that year. But just like Grease after I went to see Rock of Ages, when my boss found out I hadn't seen this movie yet, he suggested that I see it. So this is my review for Footloose.

Plot: Ren is a teenager who moves to this small town called Bomont with his mother. Not long after he gets there, he learns from his new friend Willard that the city council has banned dancing and rock and roll from the town. He soon falls in love with this rebellious girl named Ariel even though she has a boyfriend and he starts to fight against the ban from dancing and rock and roll from the council which is lead by Ariel's father, Reverend Shaw Moore.

I'm just going to admit it. I liked this movie a lot more then I thought I would. I mean don't get me wrong, the plot, while a little more developed then what you usually get from a music vs. non music kind of musical like Rock of Ages or Glee, it's still a music vs. non music kind of story which has been over done. But personally, I find the story to actually be a little more complex and well developed. I mean the movie is made to be pretty serious most of the time, even an intense during the last scene between Ariel and Chuck, and just the whole music vs. non music thing is not as black and white as it usually is with these kinds of musicals. Now when it comes to the end of the movie, there are some things that I disagree or just really want to add about when it comes to Ren's speech and stuff like that, but on a whole, as the character Andy during the end said it, "Comes pretty close". Other then that, the music is good, the dancing is creative, the characters were well developed, and it's an enjoyable film to watch.

Acting/Characters:
Kevin Bacon/Ren: I thought Ren was a good character. He did have that normal bad-boy routine just as transparent as Danny in Grease, but at the same time he had a more heroic side where he had this determination to do what was right that I enjoyed about him.
John Lithgow/Reverend Show Moore: I think I enjoyed watching this character the most during the second half of this film. I mean the things he faces and what he does or how he feels about him made me really start to care about this character. Really, he's the main reason why the general story is not that black and white. Heck, I'd actually like to meet someone like him and talk to him about his beliefs and mine when it comes to stuff like what was happening in this film. 

Music: The music naturally is awesome. It was nice to know that the song "Holding out for a Hero" actually originated from this movie. And naturally I enjoyed the actual song "Footloose" which I liked that it was nominated for best original song at the Oscars back then.

Editing: Most of it was good, but there where a couple of cuts, mostly during the beginning of the movie that I thought where weird concerning the continuity of the movie.

And that's my review for Footloose, in a generalized point of view, the plot is not that swell, but it comes out as a musical that turns out be much more dramatic and three-dimensional then most musicals that makes it entertaining. 

No comments:

Post a Comment