Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

Rating: 80%
I admit that finally seeing this movie took longer then I would've liked, but in a way, who cares? I finally saw this movie and I'm pumped to finally review it. So here's my review of The Amazing Spider-Man

Plot: Peter Parker is a high schooler who lives with is Aunt May and Uncle Ben after his parents died when he was little. One day he find papers that had to do with his father's research which connects to his father's former partner Dr. Conners where he tries to meet with him to talk about his father at OsCorp where he works, but along the way he ends up in a lab full of spiders which results in one of them biting him while ultimately leads to him getting spider powers and, of coarse, eventually leads him to being Spider-Man.

Okay I'm just going to say it, I think this is the best Spider-Man movie to date. I mean don't get me wrong, the first two Spider-man movies where very well done, but this change was like Chris Columbus getting replaced with making Harry Potter; the movies were memorable, but it was high time to take it to the next level. And holy motherly crap did they. I mean the action was excellent, the comedy was well done, the romance was wonderful, the characters was pretty darn loyal to the book, sometimes in some pretty unexpected ways. But there were a couple of issues about the movie. For example *WARNING SPOILERS* during the second half of the movie Peter kept taking his mask off an awful lot. I mean it made sense at some points, but then there's points where he has his mask off for no reason while he's looking for The Lizard. Then there's the fact that we have Peter Parker skateboarding. It's just that Peter Parker a.k.a. Spider-Man doesn't skateboard. Like, ever. I mean I can understand that they're trying to make him like an average high school guy, and it did come in handy when it came to him starting to get use to his powers (which I personally really liked because it does make a lot of sense for him to have to kind of figure out his moves which they kind of never do in any Spider-Man anything, so points for that kind of development) But...I don't know, I guess it's just a little peeve about that kind of difference from the rest of the Spider-Man stuff, and I'm glad that it was there for not a very long time in the movie. Then there's the part where he unmasks himself to get this kid he's saving to trust him. What's wrong with it? It's been done before. See in the last episode of Batman Beyond, Batman does the same thing so a boy he's trying to save him can trust him and not be scared. Now Spider-Man was a little better with how the scene was kind of more suspenseful and he even lets the kid put his mask on to kind of help him not be afraid, but still. Then there's the odd fact that they show Peter accidentally destroying stuff back in the high school, but no one actually puts two and two together to thinking he's Spider-Man*END OF SPOILERS* But my absolute biggest issue was their design for Lizard. He freaking looks like Scorpion with the head of a Goomba from the Mario Bros movie. I just don't get why they would do that. I mean the Zorgons from Zathura were designed closer to what The Lizard is suppose to be. Yeah they're MAKING A BAD KIDS MOVIE LOOK GOOD!!!!!  But nevertheless, it may be a totally different take all around on our webheaded hero, but so far it's a take I hope won't take long to see again.

Actors/Characters:
Andrew Garfield/Peter Parker a.k.a. Spider-Man: Oh I enjoyed him as Peter/Spidey. He was funny, he was clever, and his action scenes where awesome. I think when it came to action, he's definitely the best Spider-Man when it comes to showing him being fast, having web shooters and especially his strength. I mean you can easily enjoy the scenes where he discovers his strength. As Peter Parker he did some pretty good acting and just acting like a normal teenager was sweet. Altogether, Toby Maguire may have done a swell job with introducing so many of us to Spider-Man with the original series, but Garfield did a wonderful job at taking it to the next level.   
Emma Stone/Gwen Stacy: It's kind of strange looking back to the day I found out that Emma Stone was going to be Gwen Stacy a little over a year ago. Because when that happened, I started watching a few of her movies to try to get to know her as an actress, starting with Easy A...which resulted in seeing it around 7 or 8 ish times before I returned it to the library. So from there I ended up seeing her in a lot more of her movies to the point where after a while, I practically almost forgot that it all started over the matter of her playing as Gwen. Because if you see some of my other reviews, you will notice that I've come to find her a really awesome actress. And I was far from disappointed here. She was funny, she was smart as heck, she was even really freaking brave at some points. And the romance between her and Peter where wonderful. Simply loved it. I mean upside down kiss aside, I say to heck with Mary Jane, if I wasn't a kind of Team Gwen kind of Spidey fan before, I sure as heck am now. Altogether, she gave an excellent performance, she's become my #1 favorite actress over this past year and she's done a darn good job keeping it that way with this movie.
Martin Sheen and Sally Field/Uncle Ben and Aunt May: Uncle Ben in the original series was pretty good when it came to being this kind of mentor and all around person to look up to, but while Uncle Ben in this movie was roughly the same thing, he was more realistic. Aunt May was more realistic too, but she wasn't entirely Aunt May. She didn't have a sort of totally sweet and fragile attitude. Though she did seem like she may have a pretty strong spirit, so here's to seeing more of that in the next movie. Finally *WARNING SPOILER* I thought it was beyond messed up that they actually SHOWED UNCLE BEN GETTING MURDERED!!! I mean sure there's flashbacks here and there, but on a whole, there's roughly no Spider-Man anything where they actually show Uncle Ben getting shot. I mean that's a nice change, but...holy crap that was still pretty messed up to watch. *END OF SPOILER*
Phys Ifans/Dr. Curt Conners a.k.a. The Lizard: Now aside from my issue with his design as The Lizard, he was a decent character. But I will say that they didn't really develop a whole lot about Dr. Conners outside of him just being this scientist who use to work with Peter's dad and really whether or not he really was a good guy deep down both before and after he became the Lizard.

Music: I actually really enjoyed the music. I for one would recommend staying for the whole credits just to hear the score. Because I thought a lot of it gave a much nicer, action/adventure kind of score that was not as cheesy as the score in the original series. So the score for the original trilogy was nice, but I am considering the score to be a pretty enjoyable replacement for it with this version of Spider-Man.

Editing: I enjoyed a lot of the editing, but I thought there was a little to much blackouts. Most of them where only for a split second, but I thought they weren't really necessary.

And that's my review for The Amazing Spider-Man. It does have it's issues, some of them I really, really dislike, but it's still a wonderful new take on Spider-Man that I think is easily enjoyable for everyone, and one that should be very well remembered all around for the years to come for all Spidey fans.

Here's my video review for this film

Part 1:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lQvFUqwOt0&feature=plcp

Part 2:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMdHUyol2sk&feature=plcp

No comments:

Post a Comment