Friday, July 6, 2012

Batman (1966)

Rating: 55%
Well with Dark Knight Rises coming, we are faced with the particular question as to how Anne Hathaway is going to do as Catwoman considering of some of us, even Hathaway view that role to be pretty big to fill after Michelle Pfeiffer's performance in Batman Returns. But lately, my boss has reminded me that there is the Batman movie based on the Adam West show where according to him, we also have a Catwoman that is supposedly awesome. So I went to find this movie to not only take a look at the Catwoman there, but also to get idea about the Adam West Batman himself. So here's my review of the 1966 movie of Batman.

Plot: Batman and Robin start out trying to save Commodore Schmidlapp who is trapped in this yacht. They come to rescue him in the Batcopter, but the yacht suddenly disappears and Batman is attacked by an exploding shark. They discuss the event with Commissioner Gordon where they figure out that it's all the work of Penguin, The Joker, The Riddler, and Catwoman all coming together to take over the world.

Yeah...it goes without saying that this was completely for kids. I mean to be fair, this was still at a time where comics such as Batman didn't really try to be as dark and complex as they are today. I mean it wasn't until around the time they made The Dark Knight Returns that Batman became the way we know him. So that's where you kind of have to be patient and just go easy all around with this kind of Batman. Does that mean it gets an automatic pass as a movie...not entirely. Some of the acting is a little mixed and there's some issues that you may have such as seeing the homosecual interpretations between Batman and Robin, mostly because of stuff like Robin's costume containing him pretty much showing his entire legs. But regardless, it's loyal to the Batman comics from that time and the action should get something of a pass considering it's time even if they did have the text in bright colors going "wham," "pow" or whatever during the very end.

Actors/Characters:
Adam West/Batman: Now I like Adam West when it comes to his appearances in shows like the animated Batman movie, Fairly Oddparents and Family Guy. With how he is in the role he's most famous for I'm...okay with it. I mean it's not the best, especially when he tried to be a little emotional during the very end, but like everything else in this movie, he gets something of a pass considering its time.
Burt Ward/Robin: To but it briefly, I don't like his costume and his catchphrases aren't the best, but hey, least he's not mostly whiny like in Batman and Robin.
Lee Meriwether/Catwoman: Alright, so here's the performance I was especially looking for in this film because of TDKR. Now do I feel the same thing about her as I am with Adam West and the movie all around? yes. But she was a good actress and her character was well done...even is she did have that "purrrrrrrfectly" catchphrase.
Cesar Romero/The Joker: Generally he was good, I mean he had the laugh and everything. But he wasn't always The Joker to me. There were some points where he was really just being this evil man kind of guy rather then being the actual total psycho that we all know and love.
Burgess Meredith/The Penguin: I think he was the best among the villains. He just had more the smart, clever villain unlike the rest.
Frank Gorshin/The Riddler: I really enjoyed watching him considering Jim Carrey's Riddler in Batman Forever. On a whole, he was just plain old Riddler just how he's suppose to be. But he wasn't perfect. Mostly on how he got a little carried away at how crazy it is, and it was just silly that there were points where the laughed just like The Joker...I mean where does that make sense?

Music: I'm not big on the music, but I did like actually hearing where the original song originated.

Editing: it was mostly alright. but there where points like when the Batcopter was crashing, I have mixed feelings as to whether or not I agree to cutting from shot to shot on that via cross dissolve, but that's me.

And that's my review for Batman. It's good considering it's time, but that doesn't help me be in any way amused to to entirely other then a few particular aspects of the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment