Monday, July 2, 2012

Zathura (2005)

Rating: 35%
A long time ago, I watched this film when I was at a friend's birthday sleepover. Probably less then a year or maybe more after that was when the first Twilight movie. Before I went to see that movie I found out that Kristen Stewart who was playing Bella was the girl that played the big sister, Lisa in Zathura, so I was a little surprised to see her be...well...Kristen Stewart as we know her now in Twilight cause I thought I remembered her actually having emotion most of the time in Zathura, and have been wanting to see it again to see if I remembered right since then. So after that finally happening only a couple of days ago, here's my review for Zathura.

Plot: Walter and Danny are brothers who don't get along at all. After their parents got divorced, they have been living in their father's house with their big sister Lisa and bicker at each other on a regular basis. One day while they are waiting for their mom to pick them up, Danny finds a game called Zathura and starts playing it with Walter. But as they play, their house ends up floating in outer space and they have to finish the game despite facing aliens and meteors as they play, to bring their house back to normal.

Now I know that you guys find this to be a kids movie knock-off of Jumanji, but in fact, it's based on a book by the same author who wrote Jumanji. But that hardly saves the movie. Now I admit that this movie works as a kids film. I mean it has some characters that you might like and kids probably will enjoy that adventure. But if you're not a kid, you're probably not going to care for this movie a whole lot. I mean it's not just that it's made for kids, but it also is way too utterly similar to Jumanji. I mean yes it's a spin-off to Jumanji, but there's some things that are so similar to Jumanji then event he book of Zathura is. I mean this is coming from reading the plot of the book through wikipedia, so my information may be inaccurate, but it seems like the Zathura game being like the Jumanji game is practically the only similarity the book has. The Zathura book seems to be a little different and even ends differently then in the movie. So it just went too far in being like Jumaji.

Actors/Characters:
Josh Hutcherson and Jonah Bobo/Walter and Danny: Now I'm sure they're alright in the view of the kids, seeing as this is a kid's movie and all that, but honestly, I didn't really care for them. I mean sure their acting wasn't spectacular which is not a big deal since these were very young actors, but their constant bickering was so annoying. I mean I can relate to them when it comes to me and my siblings, but that doesn't entirely help me like these guys any more. 
Kristen Stewart/Lisa: Now earlier in the movie she wasn't that big acting wise. She was mostly just the way we all know her ever since the first Twilight film. But after she was unfrozen and finished taking a shower afterwords, she actually showed some pretty big emotions. Part where her mouth and her eyes would be wide open, on a whole, she acted pretty well with emotions to the point if all you know of her is her normal Bella face, you probably won't recognize her in this movie. So we can hate her all we like, but the truth is, she really was a decent actor once. Maybe she will be again eventually when her Twilight days will be finally behind her.

Music: eh, it was okay. nothing really stood out.

Editing: Some of the editing I didn't like. Mostly when the house was being pulled into the gravity of a star, where there was a cut that affected the continuity of Danny trying to get to the other side of the room.

And that's my review for Zathura. You may enjoy it if you're a kid, but otherwise, it's way too similar to Jumanji that it doesn't work and you'd probably only like to see it if you want to see Kristen Stewart actually having some decent emotion. 


No comments:

Post a Comment