Friday, January 4, 2013

Django Unchained (2012)

Rating: 90%
Okay soon soon I hope to make a top 10 list of my favorite films from this recently ended year. But before I do that, I had to see this just in case it would actually be worthy of my top 10. So here's my review for Django Unchained.

Plot: Django and his wife Broomhilda are two slaves back a couple of years before the civil war who are separately sold to a slave auction. But on the way, a German bounty hunter named Dr. King Schultz frees him in exchange for helping him take down his latest targets. Eventually, Schultz takes a liking to Django and makes him his partner. But eventually he agree to help Django find his wife and rescue her from whoever bought her.
 
I'll be honest. During the first half of the film I wasn't really impressed. The first half wasn't bad or anything, because it did have some cute moments and the acting from Jamie Foxx and especially Christoph Waltz go without saying, but it felt like I was looking at the same style that we get from Tarantino but was lacking the real spark that makes his movies great. So with that said, I thought I was going to find this film to be just 'meh'. Thankfully the second half came with the spark I was trying to find, and boy did I enjoy it. The comedy, the acting of Samuel L. Jackson and Leonardo DiCaprio to go with Foxx and Waltz, the gory action, the soundtrack, it's just completely entertaining the way were my brother and I would say "Only Tarantino" to each other as we watched the film. The only thing close to a down to this movie was that it was almost three hours long which I didn't realize until after the movie. My parents found it ridiculous but after thinking about and and after watching Jeremy Jahns' review for this movie I have to admit that they did use those three hours well and I admit that I can't entirely think of any scenes that I fell very sure should've been cut. Would I consider this to be among Tarantino's very best films? Like among his top 3 or something? I don't know. I would say however that it would be among my personal top favorites of his films...maybe second best next to Inglorious Bastards with the only main way that this film was better was that had the big action that I expected at first from Inglorious Bastards before I went to see that movie...not that, that stopped it from eventually being one of my favorite films.

And that's my review for Django Unchained. While it was unimpressive at first, it made up for it great scenes, great cast, awesome action that was plenty gory, fun soundtrack and even if it's not among his greatest it still is at least another film that shows that Quentin Tarantino is one of the greatest writer/directors there is.

2 comments:

  1. Cannot wait to see this one, when it finally gets released in 13 days time! Great review, HAK

    ReplyDelete