Thursday, January 31, 2013

Star Trek X: Nemesis (2002)

Rating: 15%
The final Star Trek movie before finally reviewing the reboot so that I"ll be all set for Star Trek: Into Darkness!!!

Plot: Shortly after the crew of the Enterprise have their farewell party for Riker and Troi who are going to be married at Betazed, Starfleet orders Picard on a diplomatic mission to Romulus due to the Romulans undergoing a military coup controlled by a human named Shinzon, who claims to want peace with the Federation, but actually intends to lead the Remans to destroy Earth with a radiation weapon.

Now before I watched this movie, I made the mistake of watching The Nostalgia Critic's review for Insurrection, unaware that during the end, an unseen crown wanted him to review Nemesis. This concerned me in the idea that this movie would turn out so bad that people would want him to review it, because it's been my understanding that it's sort of always the even numbers films that are good while the odd ones are bad (under the exception of Search for Spock and the reboot of coarse), and heck, maybe in hindsight I wasn't expecting another Wrath of Kahn or First Contact per say when the time came to see this film for myself, but I was hoping for something decent to end the journey of TNG's crew. But sadly, when I found out it was not the case, my heart sank and it didn't get better from there. My first issue and the one that kind of pissed me off the most was how the fact that Riker and Troi about to get married came right the frick out of nowhere. Because now, the basis of coming back to their relationship is all of the sudden becoming interested because of the radiation from that planet during Insurrection, and then the next thing we know when we get to this film, they're just one trip to Betazed away from getting married. That's...pretty lame. I guess the problem for me is that possibly from the moment their past relationship was hinted since episode 1 of TNG, I figured that they were going to go really big in actually getting back and getting married during one of these films, even if it's not until the last one before the reboot. Even if that is asking too much somehow, they should've at least given us a real story of how they gotten back and get married. None of this bull-crap of their relationship randomly thrown into Insurrection a couple of times for a couple of minutes at beat, and then all of the sudden are about to get married almost first thing in the film right after that. I mean all that drama, all those emotional moments, all that development altogether from all seven seasons of The Next Generation, and this how they get back and get married? That's nuts! It's not like the whole thing had to be the complete center of attention during ANY of these movies, but they really could've done SO much better than this. My second issue is just the plain choice of color and design. I"m not sure how to explain it, but the best way the comes to mind is how some of the designs for stuff like Shinzon's ship and where the climax took place and stuff like that some how made the think of this film as Star Trek meets Batman Forever. And for those of you who don't know that film, it's not a good thing at all. Finally, there's the climax. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it (as much as I wouldn't entirely mind doing so), but...let's just say I hated it as much as the whole Riker and Troi thing  ...maybe more. I guess the only good things that came out of this movie was that we still have the Next Generation crew, and possibly the background of Shinzon. When I say possibly, I mean that I can agree with the argument that his relationship with Picard brings out and interesting idea about Picard himself, but I didn't think about it too much when I actually saw the film because I was a little too focused on thinking on how they should've changed his costume. Cause that's another design issue to me. Actually, it's not the design exactly so much as the color. I just couldn't quite take him seriously looking like that.

And that's my review for Star Trek X: Nemesis. there may be a little entertainment because of the villain and that we get the Next Generation crew in general, but otherwise, I for one found it upsetting that they didn't really do anything with Riker and Troi coming back together and getting married, the design felt more like a mixture between Star Trek and Batman Forever, and a climax that just altogether  made this film close to being the farthest thing from TNG crew ending on a high note. With that said, I'd say this one is the worst Star Trek movie for me because as much as I would like to say that it's still Final Frontier that's the worst, it at least had some interesting aspects and didn't do anything that would upset me unlike this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment