Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Star Trek VII: Generations (1994)

Rating: 75%
Okay. We have  the last film from the original cast, now it's time for the films from The Next Generations. So let's start with Star Trek VII: Generations.

Plot: In 2293, retired, James Kirk along with Scotty, and Chekhov take part in the maiden voyage of the next starship Enterprise. But along the way, they receive a distress call from a couple of ships from some energy ribbon where they manage to save some of the people, but along the way a part of the ship is hit by ribbon with Kirk in it and is presumed killed. 80 years later, The Next Generation crew of the Enterprise rescues Doctor Soran from a solar observatory that was attacked by Romulans.  But Soran takes La Forge hostage and is transported from the Enterprise by the Duras sisters with the intention to find the energy ribbon and use it to come to a place called The Nexus by intentionally destroying a solar system.

Okay I know that this didn't get the greatest reception ever, but truth be told, I actually enjoyed it. One thing I would like to point out that partly makes it why I liked this film is the plain fact that I really like Star Trek-The Next Generation. While it isn't perfect in any way, the show I felt was much more realistic, the technology looked much more cool and had more interesting philosophy then the original. But I really liked the characters best of all. Because unlike the original series - at least in my point of view, TNG provided us with a lot of characters that weren't just fun like the original cast, but were very clever, most of them had a personal goal or some sort of need that we hope they get, and were being developed more and more as the series went on. So while most people didn't like this this film felt more like an extended episode of the show then something more like a movie, I agree a little but but at the same time couldn't be happier that it was the case on top of who we got into more during this. While Data was a little annoying, I kind of liked how he was learning to use his emotion chip, (though his 'life forms' song is annoyingly catchy) and I thought what they did with Jean-Luc was pretty deep stuff. And the story itself during the very end is really cool for Star Trek fans. Some issues with the film I will admit should be noted. Firstly is the fact that the film does feel more like an extended TNG episode. I know I really enjoy it, but again, I do agree that it has it's disadvantages. Firstly, while we get some enjoyable side stories about Data and Picard, they don't really give us the rest of the cast all that much, when really all of them should be put into the film a fair good amount at the least in order to make sure the fans get everybody in this very first movie based on the TV series. Secondly, the film tends change what's the main thing to focus on throughout the film, and finally, just the plain fact that there are plot holes. But even with these issues I personally found them to be pretty minor as far as how I experienced it as a Star Trek film.

And that's my review for Star Trek VII: Generations. It definitely has some issues where I can understand why this film didn't do great with the critics, but for me I consider the problems to be less of a problem and therefore I can easily overlook them. I focused more on just enjoying the adventure and the characters, and as a result, it's by no means a great film, but as far as a film from a franchise like Star Trek goes, I'm really glad that I saw it.

No comments:

Post a Comment