Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Back to the Future Part II (1989)

Let's move on with going through the Back to the Future franchise with Part II.

Plot: Shortly after the events of the first movie, the Doc comes back to 1985 to take Marty and his girlfriend Jennifer to the year 2015 in order to try to stop something that is supposed to happen to their children. But along the way, Marty buys a book that records all the sports games from the end of the century with plans to use it to make some money back in the present via gambling. Doc tells him off for this and throws the book away, but they are over heard by the 2015 Biff who secretly steals the DeLorean bringing the book with him and thus changes the timeline.

Now it should go without saying at this point that this movie is not as good as its predecessor, but that doesn't keep it from being enjoyable anyway. Even if some of the effects they give us, particularly with the futuristic stuff that they give us in the year 2015 don't hold out too well considering its time, I still like some of those futuristic things now just as much as I did as a kid. The flying cars and especially the Hover Board where my personal favorites from that timeline. I even remember wanting to grow up actually figuring out and inventing flying cars and Hover Boards exactly the way they are in this movie. There may be some cooler futuristic stuff that is thought of in other films today, but I just can't help but feel a little nostalgic for those gadgets. And the main story to this film was a dark dark yet intriguing dilemma for Marty and Doc to encounter that also supports my argument of these films being the right films to introduce the general concept of time travel with this movie introducing the concept of alternate timelines. As a kid, I thought the alternate timeline had a very suspenseful and to some degree gritty setting to it that really kept me interested. But as I said, this film isn't as good as the first one. While it does still have some well constructed details that have to do with the different timelines, it's not quite as clever as it is in the first movie. But the biggest problem that I can agree with is one that my sister pointed out a few months ago. She basically said that the second half of the movie was just a reenactment of the things that happen in the first movie. And...yeah that's a good point. Personally, I kind of like how some of the formulaic similarities to some of the scenes in both films, but I can't deny that interesting as the second half of the film was, it wasn't exactly giving us anything particularly new, which also hurts that the stuff that is particulalry new about the film -mainly the future itself - was given to us in just the first half hour or before the get to the main plot of the movie.

And that's my review for Back to the Future Part II. It's not as good as the first film because its less clever and gives us some of the same exact things from its predecessor. But if you can look past that, it's still a fun movie with a cool future, a suspenseful story and enough heart to keep you interested for what is in store for the third movie.

Rating: 60%

P.S. Dear universe, right now as I'm writing this, it is December 16th 2014 at 5:54 P.M. That means you have exactly 10 months, 4 days, 22 hours, 35 minutes and 34.7 seconds to give me my Hover Board in time for the earlier events of this film on October 21st 2015 at 4:29 P.M. So you darn well better hop to it. I want my Hover Board and I want it now!!! Have a nice day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment