Thursday, December 4, 2014

Dallas Buyers Club (2013)

Next among the films I have recently borrowed from Blaine but haven't gone around to watching until now, the film where somehow Matthew McConaughey's is not a comedian like I usually see him in...even if I don't watch a whole lot of films of him. But I digress, here's Dallas Buyers Club.

Plot: Starting in 1985, electrician and rodeo cowboy Ron Woodroof is diagnosed with HIV (or in other words AIDS) and is expected to have 30 days left to live. So he starts finding ways to steal some pills in order to try to get better. Eventually, he finds some drugs that are more helpful in Mexico than the drugs that are approved in the U.S. and imports them to sell them to other people with AIDS with the help of a trans woman, named Rayon, thus forming the Dallas Buyers Club.

This was a really good movie. It had a very interesting yet somewhat educational story about medicine and AIDS with its biggest strength is the performances from the leading cast. The story is inspired by true events about how things where back them when it comes to medicine for AIDS and how things worked with what was approved for medicine for people in the U.S. and what wasn't, and how the FDA's choice for medicine might be wrong for people with AIDS. And it really succeeded in making me care about what was happening to all of these people who have AIDS and for the people that are trying to help them. The situation felt very real, as did the people in the movie considering both their sickness and the time period that this all takes place. But as I said, the biggest strength to this film, as other reviewers have no doubt pointed out, are the performances from the stars of the film. First, you have Jared Leto as Rayon, who did a great job as this trans woman. I haven't seen Leto in a lot of movies, but I can say that just by looking at his picture on Wikipedia, he looks almost nothing like he is in this film. He was very believable in his role and he deserved to at least have gotten nominated for Best Supporting Actor. And then we have the person most people talk about when it concerns this film; Matthew McConaughey as Ron Woodroof. I haven't seen a lot of movies with him in it either, but I know him mostly from playing the lead role in Ghosts of Girlfriends Past. When I reviewed that film, I said that he wasn't that bad of an actor while his character pretty much was. But if I didn't entirely believe that then...and I'll admit I was trying to be polite while sort of meaning it at the same time when I said that in that review- I believe it so much more now after seeing this film. Like Leto, I couldn't even recognize him as himself save for his voice. Most of the films I've seen him in are comedies/romantic comedies, and yet here he is, practically starving to death to shape his body in a serious role of a man who is trying to keep himself from dying while helping others who are going through the same thing. And he takes us on this great journey of seeing this man grow as a person throughout the movie. It was a terrific performance that made it no wonder that he won for Best Leading Actor. If I had any problems with the movie, it's that it would feel a little cliched at times and it does have moments where it's a little too graphic for me personally, but neither of them where so bad that they hurt the film as a whole.

And that's my review for Dallas Buyers Club. It's a great movie to invest your time in with the subject that it tackles while giving us performances that brings what is happening in the story to life. If you have not seen it yet, it's worth taking a look at.

Rating: 90% 

No comments:

Post a Comment