Thursday, December 11, 2014

Dead Snow (2009)

Okay, so there's a couple of films that Blaine and showed me in the past that I have not gotten into reviewing. I recently saw the last film I borrowed from him, 21 Grams, so the review for that is coming right after this one. In the meantime, let's catch up with some films that Blaine has also showed me, but I haven't been touched yet in terms of reviewing, starting with a horror zombie movie simply called, Dead Snow... or as it's more fun to say in Norwegian: Død snø!

Plot: seven college students are on Easter vacation in a cabin in
near Øksfjord. Suddenly, a mysterious hiker briefly comes into their cabin and tells them of how the mountains where once occupied by Nazis before they lost the war as supposedly froze to death. Eventually the hiker leaves, and the students continue on their partying and drinking, but after finding some gold coins under one of the wooden floors in the cabin, they are eventually attacked by Nazi zombies.

Now does this film bring anything particularly new in term of the concept of zombies or all around horror? No, but that doesn't stop it from still being entertaining. I mean, state all you like about how zombies are nothing new in this film,  Nazi zombies for that matter. But that doesn't make the idea less interesting...at least coming from someone who doesn't like to watch a whole lot of zombie movies. It hits basically every single beat you can think of in a horror movie, which is one of the main reasons this film doesn't really bring anything that particularly new to the horror genre. But for the first movie for me to see that specifically contains Nazi zombies, that was more than enough to keep me invested in this movie, and for the most part it payed off. When we do get to the zombies, I was invested because... well, who doesn't really like that concept? I mean no wonder this is hardly the first (or even last) film to have Nazi zombies. And it delivers exactly where there is to expect; developing the characters, blood, gore, some pretty big deaths, all that good stuff. I do give credit the filmmakers for how they did some of the effects for the blood and gore for this movie, especially for a short, low budgeted film when Blaine showed me some of the bonus features.

And that's my review for Dead Snow. If you're looking for something particularly different or new to horror and zombies, you might not get much in this film. But if you want to see a nice, simple horror film with plenty of blood, gore and action with Nazi zombies, you'll have a nice enjoyable time with this film. I may not be a horror guy, but for what I saw, I enjoyed it.

Rating: 65%   

No comments:

Post a Comment