Thursday, December 18, 2014

Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966)

So Christmas is only a week away, and so I started to think about reviewing the live-action Grinch movie. But then I thought "why not the animated movie first since I likely would be comparing it to the live-action one?" So without further ado, this is the animated tv special of How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Plot: The Grinch lives in a cave atop Mt. Crumpit, located above the village of Whoville. For 53 years, he's hated Christmas and wants to find a way to stop Christmas from coming. So he comes up with the idea to dress up as Santa Claus and sleighs down to Whoville to steal all the decorations and presents of Christmas in attempt to stop it from happening.

Guys...you know how how this review is gonna go down; it's a classic through and through. You all know the story, you all know the music, and it's just a fun piece of animation. I remember before my family owned the movie I would look forward to watch this special whenever I got the chance. It takes so many advantages with its animation from the interactions with The Grinch and Max to giving us all the wacky stuff that they have in Whoville. They really where creative with all the toys and games that the Who children would play from all of those musical instruments to that rollar blade game, Zoo Zieen Ka Zay. (Which truth be told, as a kid, I use to question how often they would actually play that game after Christmas. I mean after a while you'd think they would run out of material for stuff like the cloth for the entrance of those giant yellow pipes. But I digress)  And the voice acting, of coarse, is perfect for the narrator and the Grinch...and in some moments, Max. If I had a scene that was my favorite growing up, that would probably be when The Grinch and Max slide down their sleigh to Whoville. It's just a fun little piece of animation that helps make Max such a likable character. And then there's the song everyone knows: You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch. Who doesn't like this song? I think Doug Walker has a good point when he said that this is probably one of the first villain songs that have ever been made. It's a fun song that really goes deep into...well...the Grinch being so mean, for lack of a slightly stronger term.

And that's my review for Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas. What more do I really have to say about this? It's a holiday classic that everyone knows with its fun animation, likable characters, memorable songs and all around charming yet simple story. If you have not seen this film, you're missing out big time.

Rating: 100%

No comments:

Post a Comment