Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Back to the Future Part III (1990)

Let's finish going through this trilogy with Back to the Future Part III.

Plot: After finding out that the Doc is still alive, just stuck in the year 1885, Marty goes to the Doc in 1955 to help him get back to the 1985. (whew, so many years to remember in this trilogy) But while Marty and the 1955 Doc are setting up the DeLorean, they discover older Doc's tombstone and that he was murdered by Biff's great-grandfather, Buford "Mad Dog" Tannen. So Marty decides to use the DeLorean to travel to 1885 to find the other Doc, rescue him from being murdered and take both of them back to 1985. But shortly after finding him, the Doc finds himself falling in love with the town's school teacher and begins to have second thoughts about going back to the present.

Of the two sequels of Back to the Future, I remember this one being the one that my siblings and I enjoyed watching the most when we were growing up. It's not better than the first movie, but it has a more fun, exciting and adventurous feel to it than the second movie. And it was a little bit smarter than the second movie in giving us detailed connections with these various points in time that they have traveled to that have to do with Marty's family or the town of Hill Valley and so on. Does it do a good job in bringing the old west to life? Eh...I personally like to think it both does and doesn't. It doesn't because in some respects, you can tell that the western setting of 1885 has a somewhat more light kind of movie style sort of look at the old west, and especially with adding things that I'm pretty sure where not around in that era such as an outlaw like Buford Tannen calling someone "dude." But at the same time it still does work because at the same time, they do put enough effort into the scenery and costumes and such to make it feel more real. I do like the relationship between Doc and Clara. I think Clara was a very fitting character for Doc to fall in love with. I also like the western music that is played throughout the movie. My favorite tracks was the country music played during the town festival which has a very catchy tune, and the main western theme that has a very exciting, fun and adventurous sound to it. I also enjoy the climax of the film with the final showdown between Marty and Buford Tannen, and everything else that follows that I won't spoil for those of you who haven't seen the movie, but I will say gives the trilogy a very satisfying conclusion. If I did have an official problem with the film that I kinda had even when I was a kid, it would be one scene where Marty somehow predicted that he'd run into some Native Americans as soon as he landed in 1885. That moment was just didn't really make a whole lot of sense to me.

And that's my review for Back to the Future Part III. It may not be extremely accurate in giving the western era, and it's not as good as the first movie, but it was still fun, adventurous and exciting enough that it gave this trilogy a very satisfying conclusion at the end of the day.

Rating: 70% 

No comments:

Post a Comment