Thursday, January 30, 2014

Despicable Me 2 (2013)

Rating: 25%
Well I said I was going to watch at least two of the other animated feature nominees besides Frozen and maybe The Wind Rises. So let's take a look at Despicable Me 2.

Plot: Gru has now stopped all of his plans as a villain and is now a devoted father to Margo, Edith and Agnes. But when a secret base gets stolen by an unknown villain, the Anti-Villain League recruits Gru to use his knowledge as an ex-villain to find out who is behind it. So he goes out to find the villain behind this with an agent named Lucy as his partner, while also dealing with his oldest adopted child, Margo, is starting to have feelings for a boy.

Okay, for the many of you who have mostly likely not seen my review for the first film...I didn't like it. I really, really wanted to. The trailers looked like it was going to be so hilarious and clever, but I thought it was so predictable and almost everything about it from there was just not that interesting, thus the hilarious and clever movie I thought I was going to see turned out to be Megamind. Which is ironic because I thought that was going to be stupid. Yeah, yeah I know, don't judge a book by its cover. So the other one was...better, but not by much. The story was less predictable, but not by a whole lot, it was a little nicer to see the girls and Gru together with the events of the first film behind them, and while I don't find the minions, they were giving a little more variety with their jokes. So the improvements are there...or at least the idea of those improvements. But I otherwise found those improvements to give me a film that's lacking almost as much as the first film. I mean I did try to see what was the big deal about it, but I just don't find it that funny or interesting. In some respects, I don't even think some of the side stories where structured that well. I mean how many scenes do the girls and Lucy have before the very end? Just one? And I feel like they were putting their faith in the minions a little too much when it came to the comedy. I mean a rendition of Y.M.C.A., really? And how so many of their other jokes in terms of slapstick and butt/fart jokes are as basic as you can get. I just can't get into it! Okay for all my criticizing, I will give the movie credit for the quick intro sequence of El Macho. That was pretty clever. But otherwise, I feel like I'm in the same boat I was in from the last film. Somewhere in there, this film can be more clever and funny then this. Granted, a lot of people seem to like this movie even more then the first, so maybe I'm missing something or expecting too little after the first movie. So I guess it's just something that isn't for me.

And that's my review for Despicable Me 2. It was doing some things better for what it's worth, but in the end, what I found was a movie that still faced the same problems of being predictable, unfunny and uninteresting almost just like the last film. You might like it better then I do considering how so many other people seem to enjoy it, but it's not my kind of film. If you want, take a look and see for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment