Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Matrix Revolutions (2003)

Rating: 40%
Alright I know it's late in the day, but I watched this movie again so let's finish going through The Matrix Trilogy with The Matrix Revolutions.

Plot: Shortly after the events of the last film, Morpheus and Trinity find that Neo's mind is somehow caught in a transition zone between Machine City and The Matrix. So they quickly rescue him but along the way discover that Agent Smith is becoming more powerful and is planning to destroy both The Matrix and the real world. Neo then decides to take a ship with Trinity to Machine City in attempt to stop him and end the war, while everyone else gets ready to fight the machines in Zion for their last stand.

So what did I think of the final film of The Matrix Trilogy? Kind of a mixed bag for me. I mean on one hand I like that we have a conclusion and everything like that...but what it took to get it and some things that happen along the way is where I had trouble with it. Explaining that is going to be hard without saying any direct spoilers over what happens during the last half our or so of the film, but I'll do my best. But first let's talk about what is good about the film. The effects are still very good and the fight scenes are still enjoyable to watch. I am however aware that people really hate the idea that there are turrets and these big mechanical armor things that the soldiers use to fight the machines in the battle at Zion. Because here we have all this weaponry and yet in the first film, Trinity says that EMPs are the only weapon they have against the machines. And...yeah that is a problem. I mean you could make the argument that technically Trinity did not directly say that it's the only defense all of humanity in the real world has and instead was talking about just the Nebuchadnezzar only having an EMP for it's defense. But even if that's the case, giving us an explanation like that instead of just giving us all this stuff would've been nice. But back to what's good about the movie, the final battle between Neo and Agent Smith was epic to watch, but I think what really helped with that was the music behind it. The entire track "Neodämmerung" really brought in the emotion in what was happening and I really enjoy listening to it while watching the final battle along with the end credits track "Navras" which is technically a full version of the song (or at least I use to think so when I use to listen to the soundtrack a lot.) Now to what's bad about it. Well for me honestly, it's just the last 30-40 minutes of the film. Not to say everything before that was gold, but it's what happens once Neo and Trinity make it to Machine City and then Neo and Smith have their final battle and the conclusion of the film/trilogy altogether that kind of splits me in the middle. On one hand, it still gives something of a satisfactory ending, but one the other hand, it's sad in a dumb way, and is above all confusing. In fact, there's a lot of things that didn't really make any sense. I did mention in my review for Reloaded that some subplots do pay off, and that is true. But even those pay offs didn't quite fit. Some of them seem to make sense the more times I watch this film, but ultimately for a film that also gives a lot of exposition dialogue, their explanation f or things like Neo's plan against Smith was, turned out to be really lacking. On top of that, the very last scene with The Oracle and The Architect kind of made the result of the battle kind of bittersweet. Now for those of you who haven't seen the movie yet, keep in mind that your take on the ending could be completely different from mine.

And that's my review for The Matrix Revolutions. It does still have good effects and action and even a good soundtrack for the final battle that I personally find memorable. But it was also contained a big climax that ultimately left the entire conclusion to be very bittersweet for me personally, if not for most everyone who has seen it. It's not the worst sequel ever seen in my opinion, but it could have done a lot better as a finale. So there's my take on The Matrix Trilogy at long last. Thank you for reading and I hope to see you in the next review.


No comments:

Post a Comment