Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Croods (2013)

Rating: 70%
So the Oscars are about a month away and for a while I wanted to take a look at the competition Frozen has for Best Animated Feature. Now as plenty of my friends and family might be aware, I of coarse will be infuriated with a desire for vengeance if for some demented reason Frozen "loses" to any other nominated film. But I am willing to be the bigger guy and see at least some of the other nominees. I might be able to see The Wind Rises before the Oscars when it comes to worldwide theaters on February 28th, and Ernest & Clestine...I just don't see winning in the slightest. But in the meantime, there's The Croods and Despicable Me 2 to take a look at and see if they actually have a chance against Frozen. I make no promises to believe any of them will, but for now, let's just take a look at these two, starting with The Croods.

Plot: The Croods are a caveman family who survive by hiding in a cave under the protection of the overprotective father, Grug. But when his daughter Eep disobeys and finds a boy named Guy, the family goes after her only to find their cave destroyed by an earthquake. Guy convinces them to head to a mountain where there is supposedly a paradise called Tomorrow that will save them from destruction.

Okay so when I saw a poster for this movie at AMC, I thought it was going to be stupid, and the fact that Emma Stone was in it, made me quiver with fear. You know, what with her being my favorite actress and all. The Audience: *groans* WE KNOW!!!! H.A.K.: All right! All right! Sheesh! Anyway, when I saw the reviews for it, I thought I'd see it at some point and just find it to be "eh". Now at last I've seen it and...surprisingly it was better then I thought it would be. The characters were fun (especially Grug and Eep), the animation was great, the creativity for the animals were great to look at, and the comedy for the most part had a lot of clever jokes. Some of the comedy even had to do with just the facial expressions some of the characters had to make. Grug especially has some really funny and well delivered faces that I just had to rewind and watch multiple times. The biggest problem I have with the film is that the story is pretty cliched. There was a number of stuff in the story that I more or less predicted would happen and it came out pretty distracting. But they at least delivered some of the beats during the very end fairly well that it didn't always turn out as distracting as I thought it would be.

And that's my review for The Croods. It's not too special in terms of the story, but it still has fun characters, good comedy, very good creativity with the creatures they gave us, and great animation to go with it all, making it not worthy of beating Frozen, but is still a nice film. If you haven't seen it, it's not a bad animated film to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment