Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Elysium (2013)

Rating: 65%
Shortly after he showed me Captain Phillips, Blaine gave me a couple of movies to choose from for what to watch next, so I decided to watch the movie that my brother Johnathan had probably one of his most anticipated films from this past year, Elysium.

Plot: In 2154, the wealthiest people in the world live in a luxurious space station called Elysium while the poor people live in an overpopulated and ruined Earth. Max is a former car thief who works in the assembly line for the military company for Elysium. But then one day he gets hit by radiation while working and has only 5 days left to live. The only thing that can save his life are these Med Bay decides in Elysium that can cure any disease or injury, so he joins a group that wants to infiltrate Elyisum and tries to find a way to get there and heal himself.

Right after seeing this film all I could really think of it was that it was just...eh...it was...nice. And now...it's a little bit better then I thought it was at first. The story was a little smarter then what I expected, it avoided a couple of cliches, particulalry one that I thought was going to happen that had to do with Max and Matilda. The acting was alright, but impressive on Sharlto Copley's part for playing a very different character then what we've seen him as before when he was Wikus in District 9. And similar to District 9 (since this is directed by the guy who directed that movie, Niell Blomkamp), it was a little more focused on the story then it was on the action, which I found to be an issue at first, but later thought it did this film some credit for not being to heavy on the action, through not as well as District 9 did. I think my biggest problem with this movie was that as far as creativity goes, I expected a little more. Not that any of the designs for all of the futuristic stuff where horrible, it's just hardly anything that was all futuristic, whether the ships or robots or whatever, really stood out in a way that left me thinking "oh that's cool to see." Even Max's suit with it's interesting, realistic look too it didn't have a lot of aspects to it that was interesting. I guess this is another example of how the director wanted it to be more about the story rather then the action and the creativity of the films own world, but still, I feel they could've done more.  

And that's my review for Elysium. If you're looking for a film that's heavy on the action and has some decent creativity to the in it, you're probably not going to be satisfied. But Elysium still has some nice acting, does a good job focusing more on the characters and is a little smarter then I expected with it's story. It's not as clever as District 9, but it still comes out fairly satisfying. Take it for what it's worth and see for yourself.   

No comments:

Post a Comment