Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Thor (2011)

My Rating 80%

This was AWESOME!!!! I mean it's not the best superhero movie there is but it was very entertaining.

Plot: In 965 A.D., Odin King of Asgard, waged war against the frost-giants lead by Laufy. The war ended with an uneasy truce. Now, Odin's son Thor is about to be ascended into the throne when a few frost-giants attempted to steal the Casket of Ancient Winters. Against Odin's orders, Thor along with his brother Loki and his friends Sif, Volstagg, Fandral, and Hogan go into Jotunheimr, the realm of the frost-giants to fight against them. they are rescued by Odin who as punishment, takes Thor's godly power and banishes him into earth along with hammer Mjolnir placing a spell on it that whoever is worthy can wield it and gain the power of Thor. Thor lands in New Mexico and meets scientist Jane Foster along with her assistant Darcy and her mentor Selvig and while befriending them and becoming romantically involved with Jane, become determined to come home when he finds out that Mjolnir is in New Mexico as well.


Now to me was a bit predictable, but that was my own fault. you see i usually get into the comics after watching the movie first. but this time i actually became familiar with Thor and the general story long before watching this film. But the good thing is, is that not everything went was expected which I really liked. and all around it was a very entertaining film. and it was enjoyable to watch in 3-D it looked very realistic there.


Actors/Characters:
Chris Hamsworth/Thor:I have this friend who actually follows the northern gods and from what i understand, they have Thor and a lot of the other stuff down well. the only big problem he had with Thor was that he was not blond. his hair was fiery red and he have this really long beard. Anyways, at first i thought the one problem I was going to have with this film was the difference to Thor's secret identity, Dr. Donald Blake. you see Thor's identity was basically this medical doctor who actually had a bad leg. and when he became Thor again, Mjolnir became disguised as a cane for when he's Blake. so i was worried for a while when i would see a trailer and i see him as a human all tall and with some pretty good abs. but it turned out that he doesn't have a secret identity at all, he was just Thor in human form. and I actually liked it a lot. He was enjoyable, he was a bad-a, all around I liked Thor.
Natalie Portman/Jane Foster: the nice thing about watching portman in this film was the timing concerning that I didn't think much of her, and then came Black Swan and now I totally like her as an actress. And again, her character is different from the comic because in the comic, she's a nurse not a scientist. she's mainly Blake's assistant. But just like Thor, I got over all that and still really enjoyed the character.
Tom Hiddleston/Loki: The thing about Loki for me, and i really wish I thought about this again when i watched the film, is that he was being a good guy when I first acknowledged him in the Marvel universe. You see I got a couple of Spider-man comics this one Christmas a couple of years ago and one of them was him and Loki working together to defeat this evil sorceress named Morwen. Later in the years i get more into Marvel aside from Spider-Man and learn how he's actually a villain, the 8th best comic book villain according to this one list, and from there with Marvel events such as Dark Reign and especially Siege which involves Loki tricking Norman Osborn (the Green Goblin who was currently in control of S.H.I.E.L.D. more or less and had his own Dark Avengers) to attack Asgard which eventually lead to his death. So I find it messed up over how i've been familiar with this particular character before this film and so i really wish I remember all that when I did see this all things considered. In this film...my thoughts were mixed about him. They portrayed him fine as far as who he really is, but i felt they could've made it bigger. show him the crazy trickster he really is. but at the same time I know that, that would've been a little much. But they still showed just fine how by some some simple choices of words, he could just cause a little chaos. Plus he does use some magic to do some trickery too and there's nothing wrong with that.
Anthony Hopkins/Odin:pff. he was fine. He did an excellent job being Odin. nuff said.
Idris Elba/Heimdall: He did not get as much screen time as some people would've liked him to have but the time there was counted well. And I know that friend of mine who follows the northern gods who has Heimdall as one of his favorite gods, will love the last few parts of him.
Jaimie Alexander, Ray Stevenson, Joshua Dallas and Tadanobu Asano/ Sif, Volstagg, Fandral, and Hogan:these guys were very enjoyable. well...not really Hogan as much as the others but still. Fandral was this swashbuckler and I kept thinking Cary Elwes every time I saw him. (Yeah I know. it's a little weird.) Sif was a pretty good bad-a herself and Volstagg sure had his funny moments.

Effects: I thought they ever really good. I especially liked what they came up with for rainbow road.

Action: It was awesome. very entertaining. I especially liked actually seeing Thor and Loki fight. I haven't really seen that up still not. not even from the comics.

Editing: I think it was pretty good. the camera angles were fine and you could always tell what was going on during the battle scenes.

Music: It was good. I mean I didn't really pay attention to it a lot but I enjoyed if whenever I did.

And that's my review for Thor. It's a good movie and altogether as movies based off of comics this year between DC and Marvel, This is definitely score one for Marvel.

No comments:

Post a Comment