Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Cloud Atlas (2012)

Rating: 75%While I hardly knew a thing about this movie, one of my best friends Blaine would talk about it a lot for the past few months really being curious if I have seen it/getting me to see it because it's one of his favorite movies. As of early this afternoon, I finally came to his place and settled the matter once and for all, so here's what I thought of Cloud Atlas.

Plot: The films goes back and fourth between six different stories that occur in several different time periods. Each one telling a story from different reincarnations of various people. As it progresses, it explains how they are connected and how their lives affect their reincarnations.

Now to be honest, I didn't have a whole lot of hopes with this film. I had no idea what happens in it, I just kind of recalled it not having spectacular reviews or something like that. But surprisingly, I ended up genuinely liking the movie. It took until Blaine and I were a little over 1/3rd into the movie, but with a little help from him while paying attention and keeping an open mind as best as I can, the stories and the characters started to grow on me. That is the thing about this movie, you have to pay very close attention to what is happening as it goes on or at least have someone who has seen it and likes it to guide you like Blaine did for me. The main reason why there are people who don't like this movie is because they find it confusing and that there was too many stories to focus on and how it's 2 hours and 45 minutes long. I have to admit that it was starting to really feel that way until I started to see the connections and the stories started to develop more and more. Granted maybe not everything was completely needed, so sometimes they would show something from one story for no real reason while moving on to the other one. But on a grand scale, if you are patient and do pay attention and keep an open mind, eventually the results come out very rewarding as all the stories come together. Also the acting was very well done, it had such a big cast; Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Hugo Weaving, Hugh Grant, Jim Broadbent, and so on and so forth. And all the main cast members are playing around 4-6 roles give a take, and they do such a great job acting in these very different roles. Some of them you may not notice due to the makeup and things like that, which is where I encourage you to stay for the credits if you see this movie because it's very interesting and yet messed up when you find out who is who at some points. I'm not a know-it-all or anything when it comes to make up, but what they did with these actors for some of there characters was very impressive, making it mind-blowing when you find out that it's that actor playing that specific character. Other then that, the film as a whole is very emotional, somewhat complex, visually impressive and pretty creative.

And that's my review for Cloud Atlas. If you don't like the movie because of how it's juggling so many stories and is almost 3 hours long, that's okay. But for what is, Cloud Atlas has very enjoyable stories with great visuals, excellent acting, and I for one turned out having a very good time watching it with Blaine. Whether you like it or not is up to you, but if you haven't seen it, I think it's at least worth giving it a try. If you don't like it then fine, but otherwise you just might end up pretty entertained if you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment