Friday, July 5, 2013

Bedknobs and Broomsticks (1971)

Rating: 70 %
All for the past couple of months, one of my best friends Meg has been showing me a lot of movies that she really feels I "have" to see. So as part of working my way to 500 reviews, I'm going to talk about some of those films that I mostly want to talk about. So let's start that with Badknobs and Broomsticks.

Plot: During the London Blitz in 1940, these three siblings named Charlie, Carrie and Paul are sent to the care of Eglantine Price much to her displeasure of taking them to her home. But when the children discover that Eglantine is an apprentice witch who is practicing to take part in the war effort, they convince her to tag them along as she being to find the headteacher of her school to begin perfecting her spells.


Okay now while this movie is quite frankly one that I’m sure I would not have enjoyed when I was a kid, watching it grown up, I would say that I was fairly entertained. It was funny, it had some charm, the story was nice, some characters were memorable (but maybe not completely memorable as far as Disney goes), while most songs weren’t too different from each other in some ways, a couple did stand out like “Portobello Road” and “Substitutiary Locomotion”, and it gave us a unique look at things like witches and magic. But it ultimately worked best when it was funny. With scenes like when the main characters went to that cartoon island and the battle in the climax of the film, they really gave us some humorous moment that left me chuckling quite a bit. It wasn't downright hilarious, but it was really enjoyable family humor.

And that's my review for Bedknobs and Broomsticks. Is this a super underrated Disney film? Eh... maybe. I can't really say for sure. But while I wouldn’t say that it’s one of the greatest Disney has given us, it was light, whimsical, funny, and gave us at least some animation to boot, which doesn’t make it great but least was still entertaining to say the least. If you haven't seen it, I'd say it's worth at least giving  it a try for its good songs, fun animation and pretty enjoyable family comedy.


No comments:

Post a Comment