Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Pokemon: Genesect and the Legend Awakened (2013)


Plot: The Genesect Army escape from the lab that revived them and try to return to their home. But three hundred million years have passed, and their home is no longer habitable. Suddenly, a Mewtwo saves four of the five Genesect from an avalanche and leans what they are looking for. But the Red Genesect who Mewtwo was unable to save attacks it and takes the army to a large city and mistake it for their home. Ash and his friends travel to the city and encounter the Genesect Army who take over  a nature park and plan to use it to build a giant cocoon that threatens the city's power supply. So it's up to Ash and his friends and eventually Mewtwo to try to stop them.

I'm going to be honest here. For a while I actually thought I was going to hate this even more than Kyurem vs. The Sword of Justice. And even though it avoided being that bad, it's still another one of the weaker Pokemon films.

I'll start off with the real reason why I thought I was going to hate this more than Kyurem vs. The Sword of Justice: Mewtwo. Just the first few minutes of Mewtwo pissed me off for one reason: that they had a voice actress to voice the character. Now let me be exceptionally clear; I have nothing against female voice actors at all. But I started watching this movie thinking this is the same Mewtwo from The First Movie, so the idea that they would all of the sudden cast an actress to voice the part of this character for no reason pissed me off. Thankfully, they do imply that this is a totally different Mewtwo with a slightly similar back story and in retrospect, the way that this particular Mewtwo is designed, it does look a little more feminine than the original Mewtwo. So if you're watching this movie and grew up watching the first film, bear in mind it is a totally different Mewtwo. Though I must say that while I'm all for the idea that there is more than one of every legendary Pokemon like Mewtwo, it is a shame that I'm not seeing a continuation of the story of the Mewtwo I grew up with. But that's just me.

I will also admit that it was a good idea in making the origins of both this other Mewtwo and the Genesect similar. They both were creating a science experiment and had escaped and are looking for a place to belong and that's actually not a bad way for Mewtwo to play a role in what's happening with the Genesect. But it's not done well enough for things to stay interesting. In fact the movie ends with a Mewtwo saying "everyone's a friend" as a way of convincing the Genesect to join her. That kind not just cheesy that's just silly.

I know there's some people who like that we see Mewtwo in action again with its own Mega Evolution and is fighting these other rare Pokemon and everything. Personally, I think it's just...eh. Not that I don't understand why people are saying that, but this Mewtwo is not quite as interesting in battle as the other one. The powers that it has doesn't look all that intimidating or powerful and its particular Mega Evolution design just looks kind of silly to me personally. I know I'm being biased by comparing this Mewtwo to the one in The First Movie, but the fact is I don't have as much of a connection with this Mewtwo as I did with the first one.

The other characters I don't really remember. I don't even remember much of what Ash does in this movie let alone Cilian or Iris or even Pikachu. We even even see that Ash has his Charizard again, and even that was really rushed. He didn't have to have as big of a part as it did in Pokemon 3: The Movie, and I imagine some fans probably would have liked to have seen it in a little more action. I'm sure he has a bigger part in the Black and White series, but he has almost no purpose here.

And that's my review for Pokemon: Genesect and the Legend Awakened. I'm glad that they make it clear that this is a different Mewtwo and I like the idea of how the Genesect could connect with Mewtwo. But the action wasn't very exciting, I barely remember a thing that happens with Ash or his friends, and I personally just couldn't connect with this Mewtwo.

Rating: 15%

No comments:

Post a Comment