Sunday, July 17, 2016

Jonah: A VeggieTales movie (2002)


Plot: Bob the Tomato is driving Dad Asparagus and a group of Veggie children to to see their favorite pop singer, Twippo in a concert. But Laura brags to Junior that she has a backstage ticket to the concert which leads to Dad Asparagus accidentally causing their van to crash. They walk (or hop in the case of this world) to a nearby seafood restaurant where the group encounter The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything who decide that since Bob and Junior are mad at Dad Asparagus and Laura respectively for the crash they decide to tell them the story of Jonah. For the two of you who don't know, the story is about Jonah trying to run away from God when he commands Jonah to preach in the wicked city of Nineveh.

Being a kid raised in a Christian home during the 90s and the early 2000s, I grew up with Veggie Tales, do a few months ago I decided to go through the majority of the Veggie Tales series. For the most part it was a nice experience of  re-living some memories and seeing some of the good and bad from what Big Idea Productions has made since after I stopped watching it. With that said, how does the first movie hold up after watching it again for the first time in ages? Honestly, I think it's still a nice film, though I do acknowledge how much it is more for kids.

The main reason why I still liked this movie was because it is a part of my childhood. Even years later, I do enjoy a lot of these characters - particularly Larry the Cucumber who was always my favorite from the show. For what they were doing, they tell the story pretty well with characters that a lot of people have grown to love. Archibald was a good Jonah, The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything are fun, and it's nice that they have this story with Bob, Dad Asparagus and the Veggie children to go with the story of Jonah so that the majority of the characters that people have grown to love get to play a part in their first big film. We also are introduced to Khalil who I honestly don't think left much of an impact. Nobody I know hates him, but I don't remember anyone really liking him at the same extent that we liked the other characters like Larry or Bob or Mr. Nezzer or whoever else.

Also, even if you know the story of Jonah, chances are this movie will give you an ending that I don't think a lot of the common person knows about. In fact, when I was a kid, the only thing that I didn't like was the ending, partly because I never heard about it. I think the every day person focuses too much on the part where Jonah gets eaten by the whale that they don't know that there's more behind Jonah's story. How they deliver it at the end may be a little abrupt, but now that I'm older and have read the full story for myself, I respect the ending. If you're wondering what I mean but am not interested in seeing this movie, I suggest that you look up the entire book of Jonah.

The music holds up fairly well for me personally.  I'd be lying if I said Message from the Lord and Second Chances still hold up even now I'm an adult. But I still enjoy a lot of the other songs like Billy Joe McGuffrey, Jonah Was A Prophet, The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything theme song and even now, I still listen the Newsboys song Belly of A Whale.

And that's my review for Jonah: A Veggie Tales Movie. If you didn't grow up with Veggie Tales you're probably not going to get much out of this movie apart from the basic tale of Jonah. But as someone who did grow up with it, I think this movie is still a fun time even if some parts don't hold up for me now that I'm older. It tells the story of Jonah in its own Veggie Tales way that I think makes it a good time only if you're a kid or if you're someone who grew up with the show or watched the show with your kids.

Rating: 60%

No comments:

Post a Comment